Syncing ipod with itunes without losing tracks on my ipod

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently changed my laptop. Although I backed up my itunes library on an external hard drive unfortunately all of the music did not transfer over.

I have a new laptop and have set up a new itunes library with approx 500 tracks downloaded now. I want to add these to the 4000 tracks I have on my ipod. I am concerned that if I sync my ipod with the laptop I will lose the tracks on the ipod?
Is there a way of adding to the music on my ipod from the itunes library in this situation? Or can I transfer the music from my ipod on to my itunes library?
Thanks
Chazza

OP
C
Reaction score
Is there a way of transferring my iPod music back into iTunes. I have a new laptop and have set up a new iTunes library with approx 500 downloads on. My iPod has 4000 tracks. I am concerned that if I sync I will lose all of my iPod music.
Can I either transfer all my iPod tracks into my new iTunes library or move my iTunes library back on to my iPod without losing any music.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What type of ipod is it and is the laptop a PC or Mac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there a way of adding to the music on my ipod from the itunes library in this situation? Or can I transfer the music from my ipod on to my itunes library?

Yes, but the software to transfer music from your iPod back into iTunes is not free. You can give "Senuti" a try. It's $18.99 to register it.

EDIT: And do not cross post or double post. Ask your question in one thread and continue with the same thread. I've merged your posts together here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your help - yeah first time in using this forum and just getting to grips with it
Ta

OP
C
Reaction score
Its a 160 GB Classic and its for my PC not a MAC.
Unfortunately not all of the music has been backed up on the ipod when I changed my laptop.

C

chas_m

Since it's for the PC and not the Mac, I'd suggest this: Phone to PC - Formerly Pod to PC, iPod, iPad, iPhone Transfer to iTunes Software

Given that this is Mac-Forums, I'd suggest you put your Windows PC specs in the appropriate place under your name (you can find this in your profile settings, see to your left for an example of what I mean).

That way, you don't have to constantly remind us that you're using a PC and we can mostly avoid accidentally giving you advice that only applies to a Mac.

Reaction score
iPod to PC

Not sure what version of Windows you are using, but you used to be able just to drag and drop them.

Make sure you have "Show hidden files" on in your preferences , then browse using explorer onto your pod. then drag and drop your files onto your hard drive. On your ipod all of your files names have changed to something like jh4h5k245hjk325.mp3. Don't worry about this, when you re-import them back into iTunes, make sure you have "Keep the iTunes Folder organised" box ticket (found in Preferences>Advanced), the files should come in with the correct titles, etc. Assuming you had all the data correct on your old laptop

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.