Just purchased macbook air backspace key wonky

Reaction score
Hello people,

I have last week purchased a mac book air computer and i have a little problem with the keyboard as the title of this post.

I purchased the computer in the UK as I was travelling back to Russia, the back space key was wobbly and jumps out of place when pressed out of the box.

Can I go to any mac store and have them look at it and have it replaced and or fixed under warranty or do I have to take it back to the UK ? I have a local mac store and i still have my proof of purchase.

Any suggestions would be very helpful

Kind regards

Scampy

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Regardless of where the machine was purchased, the warranty should still be in effect. I would actually take it to an Apple Store and ask them to replace it altogether. A machine that new should be free from flaws.

OP
S
Reaction score
I will go there and see what they will do

The only problem i can see that I will have is that the version in the apple shop will have a russian keyboard where the russian alphabet will be back lit and the english alphabet like stickers.

I believe you are right in the fact that such an expensive product should be perfect out of the box and not have any defects and actually this is my first journey into the world of macs im used to windows pc so this is quite a shock for me. I bought this because i wanted something that is good quality and would last for many years.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I believe you are right in the fact that such an expensive product should be perfect out of the box and not have any defects and actually this is my first journey into the world of macs im used to windows pc so this is quite a shock for me. I bought this because i wanted something that is good quality and would last for many years.

Nothing in this world is perfect…including Apple computers. No manufacturer of consumer products produces 100% perfect products…there are always a small number of defective products that "make it out the door".

The "safety net" in this process is the 12 months of Applecare that Apple includes with every new computer sold…that warrants the computer against manufacturing defects for 12 months (and can be extended to 36 months) if you purchase extended Applecare.

Enjoy your new computer!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Well an update

The local mac store and repair company are refusing to honour the warranty. I need to find somebody to speak to at a higher level to get this resolved if any body could give me any ideas it would be appreciated

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well an update

The local mac store and repair company are refusing to honour the warranty. I need to find somebody to speak to at a higher level to get this resolved if any body could give me any ideas it would be appreciated

After doing some checking...it appears that currently there are no "official" Apple Stores in Russia...but from this article...it appears that Apple is thinking about opening stores in Russia:

Apple to open its own stores in Russia | BUSINESS | The Moscow News

So it appears that you are dealing with "middlemen" (offical distributers) of some sort. I'm guessing that they are not willing to honor the Applecare warranty because they did not sell the computer to you (just a guess).

The best advice I can give you is:

- Try calling Apple directly (make sure you are calling a REAL Apple person & not a local distributer)...even if this means calling an Apple representative in another country. You did buy this computer in the UK. Maybe you will be able to ship the computer somewhere for repair.
- If you have the chance (like you did in the UK)...to visit another country with "official" Apple Stores...have them take a look at it.

You have a full 12 months of Applecare (and can extend it to 3 years if you purchase extended Applecare during the first 12 months)...so you have some time to take care of this if you will not be traveling to another country anytime soon.

With the initial 12 months of Applecare you also have 90 days of FREE phone support.

I hope that this helps. I'm sure living in a country with no official Apple owned & operated stores does make things a bit more difficult.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
The letter "C" on my keyboard literally fell off of my Macbook Pro not too long after I got it. I don't use it much as it's my mobile solution and I use my iMac most of the time. I have no Apple store around me so it just sat here.

My wife and I went to California where there are many stores, and I walked in close to closing time and they took it without question and replaced the bad key. The following day it broke again (apparently they replaced the key but not the spring up system beneath it) so they took it right back in and replaced for good and it's worked great ever since.

Speak to someone else as you should have no problems at all getting that fixed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Speak to someone else as you should have no problems at all getting that fixed.

The big problem is there are no official Apple Stores in Russia.:(

But I agree with you...in countries with Apple run Apple Stores...problems like the OP's are usually taken care of very quickly, easily, and stress-free!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
The big problem is there are no official Apple Stores in Russia.:(

But I agree with you...in countries with Apple run Apple Stores...problems like the OP's are usually taken care of very quickly, easily, and stress-free!:)

- Nick

Quite true Nick, I didn't even think of that. Bummer. :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quite true Nick, I didn't even think of that. Bummer. :\

Of course for you...living in Montana is sort of like living in Russia...since there are no Apple Stores in Montana either!:( Or in almost all the states that border Montana (North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming):(:(...only Idaho has an Apple Store in Boise...which I'm guessing wouldn't really help you in an emergency situation.

Good thing you had to go to California! You can almost throw a rock in any direction & hit an Apple Store in most of the California big cities)!!!;) Of course it is always possible to ship a computer to Apple for repair...folks do it all the time...even in states with Apple Stores.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I think i will contact apple by phone maybe they can do something for me as far as i understand apple will stand the cost of shipping the item to them to be repaired but will not guarantee the return of the item, the postal system here is a little untrustworthy i can see some postal worker seeing something from apple and the computer disapearing but i will cross that bridge when i come to it. First I need to phone apple.

One of the reasons the engineer in the shop gave was that 'keyboards dont come broken and ive dropped something on it' which is wholly untrue but there you go. The returns system here is different if you buy an electrical item from a shop and it doesnt work you go back to the shop and they send it away to be tested before they will do anything for you, then you usually get the answer there is nothing wrong with it or it is manual damage and you have to pay for any repairs. Its a way that the shops try and avoid returns.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.