How to handle WAV files on the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
I have a handheld recorder, an H1 Zoom, that records in two formats, either WAV or MP3. I usually use the WAV format since I think the sounds I record sound a little bit better. The trade off is that file sizes are considerably larger than the MP3's. What I record are just the ambient sounds around my home...helicopters flying overhead, birds singing in the trees, thunderstorms, the sounds of wind chimes...stuff like that

I usually just plug the H1 into the iMac and transfer the files to a folder I create on the desktop. My problem is this....I want to edit these files, (remove extraneous noises, combine different files, etc) and I just haven't had any luck so far. I've tried Garage Band but haven't figured out how to import the files...dragging them doesn't work. I can listen to them in iTunes..no problem, but how can I trim them and combine them, much as you would videos in programs such as iMovie and Adobe Premier?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers!

Pat

C

chas_m

I'd suggest Fission ($32) from Rogue Amoeba or Amadeus Pro 2 from HairerSoft ($40 IIRC).

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas!

Thanks for the fast reply. I guess if I am sticking with WAV files this is my only choice? OK, the prices of the software you recommended seems fair to me.

One more question if I may.

If I decide to switch to recording in the MP3 mode, I imagine I'll lose some of the faint sounds my H1 can now record...but I'd be able to import them and create soundtracks with either Garage Band or iMovie or Adobe Premier?

TIA, again!

Cheers!

Pat

C

chas_m

MP3 is just a compressed version of the sound you record (WAV is uncompressed). Unless there's no other option, I'd recommend sticking with the highest-fidelity of the two formats (WAV) for editing and whatnot. Once the sound is not likely to change any further you can save an MP3 or AAC copy if you like to save space, at a high bitrate (256 or better) there should be very little noticeable difference except to audiophiles.

WAV is a natively supported format on the Mac, so there should not be any problem loading such files into garageband or any other Mac program. I opened GB and started a new voice project, and dragged and dropped a WAV file right into the main window, worked like a charm. GB's editing capabilities are kinda basic which is why I recommended the more sophisticated programs I mentioned earlier.

So you can work with WAV or MP3 or other formats as you desire. Short of WMA, you should be able to handle all the common formats, though of course uncompressed is best until the last stage of a project. I save my tape conversion projects in AIFF until I'm done editing a podcast, then mix down to AAC personally. I think AAC sounds better than MP3 -- particular in some high and mid-frequencies -- at the same bitrates.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas!

Thank you for the great advice! Your assistance is truly appreciated!

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.