How to get override password/anti-theft?

Reaction score
Hello,

My sister unfortunately passed away this summer and I would like to use her 2009 MacbookPro. It is password protected and has anti-theft ware installed. I would never want to violate her privacy so I am wondering if there is a way I can delete everything, including her profile, passwords, etc. abd just reset everything as if it is my computer.

If I purchase a new hard drive and purchase an upgraded OS software, will this allow me access to the computer? I tried to speak with Apple Store staff, but they were suspicious it might be stolen because I didn't bring along her death certificate.

I'd like to use the computer for my own use (or at least give it to our parents to use) is there a way to do this, while erasing the passwords and disabling the anti-theft software she had on there?

Thank you very much for your time,

LL

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If her machine was protected with an anti-theft application, it was also protected with a firmware password. You can not by pass that even with a new hard drive. I'm not going to give you any info to work around it since I have no idea who you are and where the machine came from.

Take a copy of her death certificate and your ID and bring it to an Apple store and ask to see the service manager. After presenting your credentials and her death certificate, they'll reset it for you. Thanks for understanding and am sorry to hear of your sister's passing.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion. I will try again with the apple store. thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.