Macbook Pro Display Looks Washed Out

Reaction score
I just bought a used (mid-2009) 15" 2.8Ghz C2D Macbook Pro to replace my 2008 unibody body Macbook.

Everything is great except the display looks totally washed out and colors aren't very rich. When put side by side with my old 2008 Macbook the 2009 15" looks awful. Any ideas on why this is happening? Was this a common problem back then? The model for the screen in it is "9CA3"

I have even tried downloading custom color profiles for my particular display and they still don't look as good as my uncalibrated 2008 Macbook.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the 2009 MBP you purchased used may have had the display replaced at one time. And if it was replaced, could have been replaced by an inferior substitute. Also possible.... the backlight may be failing.

OP
B
Reaction score
^
Backlight seems to be fine but I am slightly afraid of the former.

When I go to system prefs > Displays > Colors > Open Profile and look at the model info it says "Manufacture: 00000610" and "Model: 00009CA3" which is one of the displays Apple used during that time. But what I don't know is if that is actually detecting the display thats plugged in or if its just part of the default color profile.

Is there anyway to check what model display is being used on my machine other than the method I posted above?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine is probably long out of warranty and even if Apple replaced the original display panel, it's only warranted for 90 days. Unless the original owner had extended Apple care and he bought the machine in late December 2009, Apple won't replace it for free.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah the guy I bought it from is willing to let me return it so thats nice, live and learn.

To anyone in the used market: Avoid 9CA3 displays if you can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.