Airport Express + Airtunes (Airplay)

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

brand new follower on this forum! First post! :)

I would like to know if it is necessary to buy Airport Express to use Airtunes (or Airplay)?

I don't have a wireless connection at my home, still using cables and stuff! :)

Thanks for the replies!!

Greatings!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Airplay is just a way to send audio across a network to a remote device. There are other ways to get audio around the house with a Mac. You don't have to use Airplay and an Airport Express. If you want to use Airplay - then you need a newer Mac - and an Airport Express, or an Apple TV. Both can receive audio - but the Apple TV can do Video as well. So if your final goal is to send media then the Apple TV is probably a better solution. If you need a network extender, or a USB port for a Printer - then the Airport Express is more useful.

The Express and the Apple TV - can be used in Wired mode - so you don't necessarily need wireless to use either. With your comment - about not having wireless - then you could use the Express to add wireless to your network - as well as play audio.

Other choices
-Sonos
-Bluetooth Speakers

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks a lot!! :)

I want it both, so create a wireless network and stream music! :) Think i'm just going to get the airport express! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.