video downloading app for OSX 10.5

Reaction score
I'm looking for a free downloading app for videos on the 'Net that will download automatically when I play the vid.

I have a youtube downloader but I'm seeking one that can download news vids such as those at CBS and ABC news and other similar sites.

here's an example of a vid I'd like to be able to save --

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50134920n&tag=showDoorFlexGridRight;flexGridModule

I'm running OSX 10.5 on a G4 power pc laptop.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro (Mid 2012)
I use MacTubes - not sure if it can capture on links from other sites besides YouTube.

Also try keepvid.com - it will allow you to directly download the video files off URL's,
Provided you have Java installed...

Goodluck

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take note that may web sites prevent their videos from being downloaded due to copyright. I don't know if news sites such as NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc, restrict their videos from being captured and downloaded, but many others do.

OP
E
Reaction score
I use MacTubes - not sure if it can capture on links from other sites besides YouTube.

Also try keepvid.com - it will allow you to directly download the video files off URL's,
Provided you have Java installed...

Goodluck

THANKS! Will try Mac Tubes. I used to have a great app that did the job but lost it when my other laptop crashed and cannot remember its name -frustrating. It would grab everything.

I do have keepvid and like it for youtube but it won't grab from the other sites where the vids are, what I'd call, embedded.

OP
E
Reaction score
Take note that may web sites prevent their videos from being downloaded due to copyright. I don't know if news sites such as NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc, restrict their videos from being captured and downloaded, but many others do.

Of course anything I copy is solely for my own use. I have no desire to infringe on copyright (especially since I'm a pro photographer who's been infringed upon, so I get it!).

I have not encountered in the past any vids that the app I used to have would not collect, but the total I wanted to save was in the handful range. I know it would grab ABC since I did so.

OP
E
Reaction score
THANKS! Will try Mac Tubes. I used to have a great app that did the job but lost it when my other laptop crashed and cannot remember its name -frustrating. It would grab everything.

I do have keepvid and like it for youtube but it won't grab from the other sites where the vids are, what I'd call, embedded.

NO, unfortunately MacTubes is for youtube only and won't grab vids on the fly, so to speak.

Another good alternative for youtube is ClipGrap but you need to paste the url to your desktop first.

MY search goes on ....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.