What would be a Windows laptop that is comparable to the Retina display 15 inch MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
To answer the subject's question: Run Windows in BootCamp on a MBP w/ Retina. then you have a laptop running windows on a laptop that has a retina display.

As to the laptop you mention - I just built one for an employee at work and it is not even close to having a retina display. T530 is a business class machine, not a multimedia workhorse.

OP
hora
Reaction score
I was hoping to see if there was a cheaper version of something like the 15 inch retina.

Somebody in another forum said:

If you're looking for colorful screens, you can check out the Lenovo Thinkpad T530 with the 95% NTSC color gamut 1080p display, which makes the MBP's display look dull and muted in comparison. Several Clevo laptops also have (inexpensive) 95% NTSC color gamut display options, and by default, they come with 72% NTSC color gamut displays.

How does Clevo compare with MPB15 Retina?

Is there a cheaper way to experience something like Retina 15 by purchasing an external display that has a high pixel density and high color gamut if there is one?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Explaining exactly what it is you mean by something "like" the retina display would be helpful.

The Lenovo you've just picked and it's 1600 x 900 screen resolution comes no where near the 2880 x 1800 resolution of the 15 " retina display.

OP
hora
Reaction score
Something that has better than average pixel density and has similar color gamuts to the retina15.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
FWIW (and I am no expert) but IMO you are putting WAY too much emphasis on color gamut. But, if that is really important to you, then from what little I know you should be researching on what Backlighting is used by the LCD screen and this is supposedly the primary driver in Color Gamut. As a minimum you should look at systems that use CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light), and better yet are those that use white LEDs for backlighting.

OP
hora
Reaction score
"Very expensive for performance level" it says on here Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display Review (2012)

What would be Windows version that would be a good alternative? For example if you see someone wanting to get the MacBook Pro with Retina Display for its super high pixel density and the graphics card, and can suggest them a much less expensive option of Windows, with a high enough pixel density and similar graphics card, what would it be?

OP
hora
Reaction score
FWIW (and I am no expert) but IMO you are putting WAY too much emphasis on color gamut. But, if that is really important to you, then from what little I know you should be researching on what Backlighting is used by the LCD screen and this is supposedly the primary driver in Color Gamut. As a minimum you should look at systems that use CCFL (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light), and better yet are those that use white LEDs for backlighting.

Thank you.

I was emphasizing on color gamut because I noticed that the cheap laptops in the $400 and $300 range have very bad color compared to my MBP 15'' 2010.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.