Importing music files

Reaction score
I am trying to import some music files from an external hard drive. Should my iMac automatically find the drive when it's plugged or how do I find the drive?

Wondering if I have conflicting formats...

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Importing to iTunes? And yes, once plug in your external drive, it should show up on the Desktop as well as the Finder. What file system format is the external drive using? Ideally it should be FAT32..

OP
P
Reaction score
Importing to iTunes? And yes, once plug in your external drive, it should show up on the Desktop as well as the Finder. What file system format is the external drive using? Ideally it should be FAT32..

The files were saved off my old PC with XP operating system. Does that give you any info?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the iMac is not doing anything with the inserted drive, it is possible it's been formatted as NTFS as opposed to FAT32. OS X can access NTFS drives through 3rd party software, but can access FAT32 drives natively.

Windows XP, on the other hand, can access drives with both NTFS and FAT32, so it's hard to know what the drive is currently.

Do you get any activity on the iMac with the drive insertion at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OSX should read NTFS drives OK without software. It's only if you want to write to them that you need some.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.