Users manual

Reaction score
I recently got an ipad through work and have no training on how to use it. Is there a free users manual I can download?

On the same subject, I find it difficult to shift from my computer, which I'm very comfortable with, to these other platforms (is that the right word?), like smartphones and an ipad. How come there are no folders with the ipad to store files? Is there any microsoft office-like software on it? It seems like you just open an app, work with it, and then somehow save what you did into the app. Is this how it works?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
iPad user's manual and guide direct from Apple: LINK

C

chas_m

The iPad (and its copycat Android) forsake the files/folder metaphor for an app-package-cloud metaphor. It's just a different paradigm that avoids a lot of mess and for many people is far simpler, since most people don't use a computer because they like to spend time organizing.

Reaction score
I recently got an ipad through work and have no training on how to use it. Is there a free users manual I can download?

On the same subject, I find it difficult to shift from my computer, which I'm very comfortable with, to these other platforms (is that the right word?), like smartphones and an ipad. How come there are no folders with the ipad to store files? Is there any microsoft office-like software on it? It seems like you just open an app, work with it, and then somehow save what you did into the app. Is this how it works?
The iPad is a closed device, meaning that you can't use file system (like you can on a Windows PC or a Mac) for file management - this is to prevent malware going into iDevices.

There are Microsoft Office alternatives - Pages, NeoOffice, etc..
There are rumors of a Microsoft Office for iPad next year.

I don't see an iPad replacing a PC right now, but I do see where Apple is heading to.

D

The iPad (and its copycat Android) forsake the files/folder metaphor for an app-package-cloud metaphor. It's just a different paradigm that avoids a lot of mess and for many people is far simpler, since most people don't use a computer because they like to spend time organizing.
The copycats do have a file system (through 3rd party) works just like a Windows PC but complicated to use. But yes, most users don't really care about file management and just want to get their "work" done.

Reaction score
Go to app store and download iBooks. Go to store and search for Apple Inc. You'll find all the iphone/ipad/ios manuals here.

OP
U
Reaction score
I'm still unclear. When you work with a file in an app, where does it get stored? One of the annoying things about learning the ipad is that you have to re-learn a whole new platform (right term?) as well as layout and design. I don't get why you wouldn't want to save stuff. For example, can I make a Word document? I know the ipad doesn't have Word, so what would I do instead?

Off the topic, but...

Do I need a usb cable for my smartphone? The only thing I can think of is that I'd need it to download a new version of the software. I have a Samsung galaxy. Is that an Android too? Too confusing!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're reading in something I didn't say. I said Android is a copycat of iOS.
And iOS is an Android copycat. A quick search around the net will make either argument valid.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm still unclear. When you work with a file in an app, where does it get stored? One of the annoying things about learning the ipad is that you have to re-learn a whole new platform (right term?) as well as layout and design. I don't get why you wouldn't want to save stuff. For example, can I make a Word document? I know the ipad doesn't have Word, so what would I do instead?

Off the topic, but...

Do I need a usb cable for my smartphone? The only thing I can think of is that I'd need it to download a new version of the software. I have a Samsung galaxy. Is that an Android too? Too confusing!

The best way to understand iOS devices is that you are viewing content stored elsewhere as opposed to stored locally..

So, for example, you have Pages (a Word-like application from Apple) that you can use to create documents, but you save them to iCloud. That way you can access the document from your Mac with Pages on there and continue editing.

Another option is to view things through Dropbox (another cloud-based service) on the go. Review documents, PDFs and so on..

There ARE a few things that get stored to device itself, but those were MEANT to be there. These are things like your music, videos, books and of course the apps.

Do not think of an iPad as a replacement for a notebook or anything..it's really in an entirely different category of electronics..

Starting with iOS 5.something, you can sync apps between iTunes on your computer and the iOS devices over WiFi, so you only need a USB cable to charge the device. You do not need it specifically to sync anything. Even iOS updates are now possible over WiFi..

C

chas_m

And iOS is an Android copycat. A quick search around the net will make either argument valid.

Um, no. Not unless Google has invented a time machine.

I think you're misunderstanding the meaning of the word "copycat."

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Coming before something doesn't make an object a copycat. By that logic, iOS is a copycat of everything that preceded it. Second, saying that it is a copycat now (which is what you're indirectly implying) suggests that all present development is a copy. Third, if you want to use history, Android was in development as far back as 2005 whereas iOS was only released in 2007. No time machine needed.

Since it's impossible to know when Apple started development of iOS, no one can logically make the claim that Android is a copycat when all available evidence suggests that it was being developed before iOS was. If you have evidence to the contrary, I'd love to see it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig

I just got an e-mail from Mac-Forums for a free iPad quick reference guide . I have a first gen iPad but most of the information applies to my device. also, I don't know if you are near an Apple store but if you are, you can make an appointment with the genius bar and talk with an associate for free if you have any general questions. Any more detailed information they may suggest a class( for a fee) but if you go to the apple site there are links to self training videos . I am very new to the Apple world but between the apple site and this forum, I am learning and loving my iPad more and more

C

chas_m

Vansmith: in the interest of not hijacking this thread any further, I'm going to refrain from pursuing this in this thread. If you'd like to start a new thread, I'll be happy to discuss how wrong you are there. :)

OP
U
Reaction score
I guess this question got lost in there, but again:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess this question got lost in there, but again:

Your iPad box came with a USB cable. Use that. You will use it to sync contents between your iPad and computer. You can manage your iPad without ever connecting it to the PC, but connecting it allows you to backup your data on your PC.

The Samsung Galaxy is an Android based device..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The old iPads use a large 30 pin connector, the new iPad uses the 30 pin lightening connector, both of these are special Apple connectors and you cannot use any cable that came with your Samsung. Most other phones/tablets use a microUSB connector..

OP
U
Reaction score
So I can't use my ipad usb cable with my Samsung phone?
I still need to know if I even need a usb cable for a cell phone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't own a Samsung Galaxy phone and have no experience with an Android device..not I'm not sure if you can do everything entirely from the device without connecting to a PC.

You should probably spend some time reading the user manual that came with a smartphone to figure out what you need to do..

I think we've sufficiently answered your questions about the iPad..if you have further questions about your Android device, you might post in another sub-forum or check out other Android specific forums for expert guidance..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.