general "OMG MY MACBOOK PRO WON'T BOOT AND I'M FREAKING OUT" thread

Reaction score
so i'm assuming you guys get a lot of these threads, but i kind of need help ASAP and i don't have too much time to do a lot of research on my own. basically i need my computer up and working by saturday for a final. the story:

my 2010 macbook pro has been lagging a lot lately and running very hot. admittedly, i don't take the best care of it, but i try. last night i was running handbrake and my encode froze, so i tried to verify and repair my disk permissions. it wasn't working, the load bar wouldn't move at all when i tried to verify. so i tried verifying the disk which told me that i needed to repair it. i shut down my computer so i could restart from my install disk. i heard the chime, held down the "C" key, and stared at the grey screen with the apple logo. and waited. and waited. no go. i heard the fans going as i did this, then eventually they shut off and my computer did, too. i tried again a few times, then shut it down for night and tried again this morning. still no go. any helpful suggestions? i'll try to respond to questions as best as i can, but right now i'm at work and my computer is at home.

if you guys could help me, you'd have no idea how thankful i'd be. i'll bake you cookies and eat them in your honor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.