pages and numbers sync via iCloud

Reaction score
I have just installed pages and numbers as wanted greater syncing over my various iMacs at work and home.

I was told that pages and numbers syncs via iCloud, please help me understand this.

1) Does it sync like Calendar and Contacts ie any thing i change on one iMac is changed on the other or

2) Does it only sync if I upload the actual document to the cloud and work in the cloud.

If the second explanation above is correct, then what is the difference of using Pages, Numbers and iCloud to using Word, Excel and drop box or just google docs.

Please advise or have I just wasted a few $

Antony

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The apps that are included with iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) are iCloud aware apps and will sync automatically. However, that means you would need to install the OS X versions on your Mac and the iOS versions on your iPhone or iPad.

Word, Excel, Powerpoint, are not iCloud aware apps. But you can keep them in sync manually with Dropbox. The problem there is that you'll need an iOS app that can read - write - and edit MS Office documents. Microsoft has not provided such an app but there are several good third party apps available.

OP
B
Reaction score
Chscag, im not sure what you mean, i have installed Pages, Numbers, Keynote an all my iPad, iphone and iMacs.

they only way I can see how it works is to save every file to the cloud, which seems pointless as I want the files to stay on my iMac but automatically sync across all devices, am i missing something, please help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I think I understand now what you're asking.

On your Mac, open System Preferences and click on "iCloud". Make sure you check off the box that states "Documents & Data". Any application that is cloud aware (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) will sync automatically with your iPad and iPhone as long as you have the corresponding apps installed to iOS. You don't have to purposely save those documents to the cloud or load them again.

I hope that's what you were asking.....

OP
B
Reaction score
chscag, let me use a practical example. I have also created a PAGES document called "My Work Document" and have saved it to the desktop of my HOME iMac. Now my question to you is:

Q) how do I access this PAGES file when I get to my OFFICE iMac.

I hope im making sense.

Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
I was under the impression that it would automatically sync to the OFFICE iMac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good question.

If you have saved "My Work Document" on the iMac at your home, AND have done what I suggested above in System Preferences, iCloud, then that same document should be available to your office iMac. However, one caveat here...

You must also do the same thing on your Office iMac. In other words, open System Preferences, iCloud, and check off "Documents & Data". Now in theory, "My Work Document" will travel with you on your iPhone, iPad, and to the Office Mac.

Give it a test first to see if it works for you. According to MacWorld Magazine there are some glitches with document syncing in the cloud so you do need to be aware of that. Also note that it only works with those applications that are iCloud ready.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok lets keep it simple, Im only going to use PAGES.

I have a PAGES document in the desktop of my HOME iMac

This document does not show up on the pages app on the iPhone or on my office iMac

I am still trying yo see syncronation across platform.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your Mac at home has to be on at all times and connected to the internet for the syncing to occur. Likewise with all your devices including the office Mac.

Reaction score
Ok lets keep it simple, Im only going to use PAGES.

I have a PAGES document in the desktop of my HOME iMac

This document does not show up on the pages app on the iPhone or on my office iMac

I am still trying yo see syncronation across platform.

Your PAGES document must be saved in iCloud, not saved to your desktop, otherwise it would not sync.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.