System Comparison

S

slimshaney2006

Hi all,

No doubt like many of you, i'm looking to buy the new 20" Intel iMac.

Because i've been stuck in the wonderful world of Windows for the last umpteen years (though i used to have a Rev A 12" PB via work), i wouldn't mind to get your views on the following comparison between a AMD PC and the iMac.

I know that it's far too early to make speed comparisons between processors, and a few of the component comparisons don't match etc - but do you consider the following a fair comparison..?

(If so, the idea that Macs are expensive compared to PCs won't be a factor in my decision to go Apple, and if i drop £2000 on a new computer - i'll be able to sleep better at night).

Also, i don't want to bring the OS, software, viruses, spyware and similar factors into the arguement - just deciding on components and price.

Many thanks :)

Shane.

Here goes:

DESCRIPTION

Apple iMac Intel Core Duo (all via online Apple Store UK)

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
20" TFT Widescreen Display
2GB (2x1GB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
500GB SATA HDD
ATI Radeon X1600 - 256MB SDRAM
SuperDrive 8x
iSight Camera
Airport Express
Bluetooth 2.0
Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse
FrontRow & remote control
OS X v10.4 Tiger
iLife '06
iWork '06
Applecare

Subtotal £161.58
VAT £283.43
Total £1903.01

Home Build PC - (based on prices from www.overclockers.co.uk - a local PC and component shop in Staffordshire, UK)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - Retail
Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400 TwinX (2x1GB)
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XL 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 11 500GB 6H500F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM
Plextor PX-716AL Dual Layer Slot Loading 16x4x DVD±RW ReWriter - Retail
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card - OEM
Silverstone Temjin TJ01 - Silver (No PSU)
Tagan TG430-U15 430W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
DELL Ultra Sharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX-110 - Retail - Mouse & Keyboard
Creative Webcam Live! Ultra
Altec Lansing VS2220 2.0 Versatile Speaker System
MSI BToes 100M Bluetooth USB Dongle
Belkin F5D7000UK 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter
Microsoft Windows XP Professional inc. SP2 - OEM
Microsoft Works Suite 2006 - OEM

not including fans, and cables.

Subtotal £1,632.15
VAT £285.63
Total £1,917.78

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
slimshaney2006 said:
Also, i don't want to bring the OS, software, viruses, spyware and similar factors into the arguement - just deciding on components and price.

In that case, you should probably not consider a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I hate to admit this, but not having messed around in the build your own PC world in a few years, the first 3 lines, and then some, of your PC write up mean nothing to me. I don't know the specs of most of what you are talking about, so I can’t give you a comparison.

I suspect there will be other long time Mac users here who will agree. That's not the kind of thing we spend time worrying about. Not sure how much help you will really finds here unless you explain things more clearly for us non-tech savvy folks.

I also agree with the post above mine. Those are usually major factors in deciding on a Mac or not.

Sorry, just thought you should know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Well for components and price, I think the iMac would win hands down. You have everything for the AMD machine yes, but its all from different manufacturers and you will have to plug in about 4 devices to the back of the computer, and power sockets to run them all. With the iMac, you only need one. For warranty purposes, everything is to one manufacturer, apple. Plus on top of this, you have all the software factors you chose to ignore, which add quite a bit. I recently decided to purchase the exact same iMac that you are talking about, except with the 250gig HD. Get the iMac, you wont be dissapointed, and you'll have a computer far more interesting than a Screen and Tower, in a much neater package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
baggss,
I think the info he was giving was pretty straight forward...whether you are tech-savvy or not. Many people on the apple board do understand some computer lingo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
I think the op meant that he just wanted to compare hardware and has already taken everything else into consideration. ;)

As for the computers, eh, I'd go with the Mac. Granted you don't get the expandability, you get more than comparable performance, a great all-in-one design, and everything else you've already looked at.

Reaction score
I agree that the new iMac is a great deal. The Intel Core Duo processor, 250HD, design, and software make it hard to beat. But at the same time, it's fun building a PC :biohazard I built a form factor computer (AMD based) last year, and it runs great! I haven't had a hardware problem to date. I could be lucky. Going forward though, I've been eyeing the new iMac...I'm tempted to upgrade sometime this year ;)

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be a killer system. Based on how different these systems are, it's hard to compare systems without considering the OS system, and software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Greenredfield said:
baggss,
I think the info he was giving was pretty straight forward...whether you are tech-savvy or not. Many people on the apple board do understand some computer lingo.

Maybe it was for you, but I bet for lots it wasn't. I'm sure there are enough folks here who can make a comparison for him, obviously you can. 3 or 4 years ago I could have, but now...

My point being with the exception of a few "tech-nerds" (no offense intended) most folks are not going to be able, or care, to make the comparison. If you're able to help him, great, but I suspect this is sort of the wrong place to seek a lot of this sort of information, then again, where would the right place be?

OP
S

slimshaney2006

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies.

Sorry if i didn't make my post clearer - I wasn't ignoring factors such as the OS, software, hardware compatibility, viruses etc.. and i have taken them into consideration.

The views i was after is just a hardware to hardware comparison - in respect of what you get (quality components etc), the performance (do the 2 processors listed in the specs make a fair comparison) for the price (pretty much equal)....

You've all made good points though, such as - 1 manufacturer against many, OS pros and cons (both have them), bundled USEFUL software (Mac wins hands down..), extras included (e.g: remote control - the simple things DO count)

Sorry if i confused anyone with the wording of the post (not a good start to posting on the forums... ;-) )

Obviously, 99% of people here are positively biased towards Apple, but after reading the forums for a while - you all tend to offer real world opinions - either it's for Windows, Linux, or OSX. Hence the post.

Realistically, i suppose i've already made my mind up to get the iMac - just wanted 'to double check' it's the overall better choice.

Cheers,
Shane. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.