can I upgrade to mountain lion

Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade to mountain lion,if yes is it that simple?. what else will I potentially need to upgrade? Is it cost effective.My system is leopard and this is some more info about my machine.

MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f3

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
You need to upgrade to Snow Leopard and upwards to the latest version which was 10.6.8 first, and further requirements can be found on this link. Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion.

As far as being cost effective my opinion is that it's not going to break the bank :)

OP
G
Reaction score
snow leopard upgrade

Thanks or the tip,I will monitor anymore replies and then probably visit my local apple store tomorrow and see about the snow leopard upgrade before upgrading to mountain lion.still worried it will need more than just buying the upgrades. Think I might also face gb/memory issues??. still,appreciate your response.;)

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks guys you all rock!! made an appointment at my local apple store for purchase and final check on compatibility.going to buy direct rather than download so I have discs for emergency use.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...made an appointment at my local apple store for purchase and final check on compatibility.going to buy direct rather than download so I have discs for emergency use.

I don't think that you are understanding things 100%!;)

You NEED to install Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) to begin this process. The Snow Leopard install disk is NO LONGER SOLD at the "physical" Apple Stores…but you can purchase it at the Apple online store (Apple.com).

Once you have Snow Leopard installed (and updated to at least OS 10.6.6)…you then download (from the Mac App Store) OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. Mountain Lion is DOWNLOAD ONLY…if you want a physical disk…you must make it yourself.

I hope that this clears things up!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Be careful you do not end up with Snow Leopard installed and no DVD.

OP
G
Reaction score
advice on upgrade from leopard to mountain lion

Hi guys,I do understand the need to upgrade to snow leopard before before upgrade to mountain lion :Smirk: but am still a little concerned that I have the necessary space/gb etc and all the other internal stuff I need.Im a typical(I know how to get my mac to do the things that I'm used to doing but dont really understand all the technical requirements and advances that change.e.g not enough ram/gb/processors/etc ect). thanks for the tip on snow leopard not being available direct from store and yes I have seen the download option for mountain lion on apple online as well so will take everything in to account from everyones great advice;D... if anyone needs more info on my mbp to offer more advice let me know,either way I'll report back with outcome.cheeeers everyone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.