• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Made the switch away from iPhone. My experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Absolutely no hate here . . . :)

On the other hand, I have zero desire for my phone to be exciting. I just want it to be reliable and easy to use.

Same here. I want my iphone to make phone calls and get a little data on occasion while on the move. Other than that, it is forgotten once it goes back in my pocket. The noun "phone" and the adverb "exciting" don't even belong in the same sentence.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The noun "phone" and the adjective "exciting" don't even belong in the same sentence.
Sorry, but the teacher got the best of me here, haha. ;)

Reaction score
I just want it to be reliable and easy to use.
Same, but I'm starting to wish I had something that was a little more customizable. I hate the placement of certain things - for instance the settings is an App, which should be easier to access from w/in an application w/o exiting (like the notifications menu).

i used to laugh at the mac kids in class who we would have to wait for to catch up and get things figured out - now i am one of them
Once you learn some of the keyboard shortcuts, you'll like it a little better. OS X can be powerful. But instead of Bootcamp, I recommend Parallels. Also, you realize you can install your own SSD in your Macbook, right? I did that straight out of the gate upgraded max RAM and a Samsung SSD for minimal cost - it was pretty easy, you just need the right screwdriver.

The iPhone 5 didn't do it for me (for one thing, I hate the new screen - if it were a bit wider I would have been happy, but this tall maintaining narrow just didn't cut it for me and for another thing, iOS needs a facelift, it's almost 6 years old (might as well be 20 in computer years) and really feels its age).
Went from the 3GS->5 and I agree with you. I don't think the screen is wide enough and I agree the OS could use a major update, which would suit the younger generation (those who actually know how to use a computer) - but I knew all this before purchase.

I think Apple somewhat agrees with the UI, as they fired the creator of the Maps app, the VP of iOS, Scott Forstall. Hopefully, we'll get a fresh new interface going forward.

Really, I'm still impressed with the casing, which doesn't do anything in terms of production or functionality; but the styling, for some reason, motivates me to work and use the device more, which I can't really explain. Other than that, I may be switching to Android if iPhone doesn't improve in a year or two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I now use my iphone as an alarm clock and is the bluetooth source to play music in my car.

No problem with the rest of your post. To each their own and I'm glad you found something you like. I don't get the above quoted line though. Are these things you were unable to do with your iPhone? They seem to be the only specifics in your post among all of the generalities about Android and the "MONSTER" of a phone, and I am wondering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA 2011, 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB
I also had the "how am I gonna sync my iTunes" to it issue (my android tablet I never wanted/needed to sync iTunes to) and chose to use an app called iSyncr, non-drm songs and videos transfer and work well)

To add music to the phone, rather than sync with iTunes, I open 2 Finder windows and copy/paste from the Music folder on my MBA to the Music folder on my Razr Maxx. I have the Calendar and Address book synced through Gmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It's a little boring until I got my iPhone 5. Doesn't help that a lot of people have the same phone though. >_>"

My sediments exactly :)

I have just 1 question though . . . . .

How much have you spent on replacing all your iPhone Apps to Android Apps ??

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
My sediments exactly :)

I have just 1 question though . . . . .

That's a good question. One that I don't want to think about. >_<"

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

First, I forgot to mention I like your new avatar.

Second, so far, $0.00. The pricing for the same app can vary from iOS to Android, and because of this, I've gotten all the apps I wanted from my iPhone for free. There are some apps that I wouldn't want to install on my N2 since I already have it on the iPhone, and those include $ and free apps, which I didn't even bother checking for the Android version's cost. What also helps Android's case is I can download apps from multiple sources, unlike the iPhone single source of legal apps through the App store.

This was actually one of the issues I thought I would have when deciding to switch. When thinking of switching, I had always rolled in the cost of transferring apps along with the cost of a new Android phone. It has not been an issue at all, especially when iOS apps fluctuate from costing money to being free during certain times. I thought I would have to pay so much money because I would have to pay for apps that I had been saving for more than 3 years.

I'm going to guess that it would be a safe bet to make on the average person spending more money on case/screen protection than will on apps. I have 119 apps on my iPhone, and I probably don't want to know how much I've spent since I had my first iPhone, but I still find it odd that there is such a discrepancy in app prices from iOS to Android. All my N2 apps are downloaded via Google Play Store(the Android version of the iOS App Store).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
First, I forgot to mention I like your new avatar.

Thanks iggi :)

Second, so far, $0.00.

Thats interesting . . . . . But . . . .

I have 119 apps on my iPhone, and I probably don't want to know how much I've spent since I had my first iPhone, but I still find it odd that there is such a discrepancy in app prices from iOS to Android.

This is what I'm more interested in. Since having your iPhone from day dot, and what you have spent on Apps, would you need to over time, buy those same Apps on android to fill that need that you had on your iPhone.

Only time will tell i suppose

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
This is what I'm more interested in. Since having your iPhone from day dot, and what you have spent on Apps, would you need to over time, buy those same Apps on android to fill that need that you had on your iPhone.

Only time will tell i suppose

I literally went through every single app in my iTunes inventory to make sure I got an android version. As of right now, there are no apps remaining on my iPhone that I want transferred onto my Note 2(that I can download), and with all the apps I've downloaded, it has cost me $0.00. The are 2 apps that are iOS only(iMovie/Pages) that I can't download that would cost me money. I've downloaded more than 300 apps total(including iPad apps), but only 119 of those remain in my iTunes app inventory. Out of those apps, there are a bunch I don't really want/care fort. If I actually went through the process of downloading every single app that I've ever purchased, it would undoubtedly have to pay me something, unless I downloaded them illegally.

I believe it also depends on your download habits. I rarely jump into paying money for random apps. If I pay for it, I do so because I know I like it, or because it's on sale. The majority of my apps were free, and the majority of my paid apps are for the iPad. There is only a handful or two of paid apps for the iPhone. I would give up all my apps for iTether to exist on Android. I was lucky enough to get it in the Apps Store and would love for it to work on Android:(

I'm sure I can't be the only person with an input on this topic.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that Fieldrunners 2 is not on Android yet. That was a let down:(

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm totally was in iggibar's shoes considering an iPhone 5 for my next phone, but ended up just not being that excited about getting another iPhone. I went to an extreme and beyond as a Apple user and did actually get an WP8.

Just promise you won't tar and feather me! O:)

ss.png

photo.JPG

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Tar is heating . . . now where can I find some feathers?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm totally was in iggibar's shoes considering an iPhone 5 for my next phone, but ended up just not being that excited about getting another iPhone. I went to an extreme and beyond as a Apple user and did actually get an WP8.

Just promise you won't tar and feather me! O:)

Looks pretty neat. How do you like it so far?

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Looks evil with red tiles:Evil:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, what do you think - I've been looking at the 920 vs an android phone.

Can you stream Amazon video content?

Only thing stopping me is 1Password.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tar is heating . . . now where can I find some feathers?
I knew it!

Looks pretty neat. How do you like it so far?

I'm still falling in love with my phone. It's a bit refreshing having a different OS. I'm not really missing any apps that I use regularly on my iPhone. I just need weather, news, RSS reader, reddit app, Evernote, Facebook, and Twitter. And I have all those on my WP8. And if I really need an iOS app, I still have my iPad.

I love that WP8 is more of an information-centric phone rather than an app-centric one with static icons. The WP8 live tiles are amazing! It's really cool scrolling through icons that are pulling info from the internet or update statues from friends that I want and displaying it on an icon. Sometimes I just turn on my phone and look at the icons for what I need and turn it back off.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks evil with red tiles:Evil:
I can change the color to pink if you like?

Yep, what do you think - I've been looking at the 920 vs an android phone.

Can you stream Amazon video content?

Only thing stopping me is 1Password.

The Nokia 920 is a pretty amazing phone. I'd love to have one, but I'm with VZW and the 920 is exclusive to ATT. My friend has a 920 and he highly recommends it, he even switched carriers to get it. And the Nokia WP8 phones come with some nice Nokia software. For example, only the Nokia phones have the Drive app which has voice navigation on it I believe, which is no additional cost. The HTC WP8 comes with NZ Navigator which is a monthly fee.

And there is no Instant Video app for WP8 nor streaming through the website as WP8 doesn't have flash. There's always Netflix as another alternative since that's on the WP8.

1Password is definitely a deal breaker! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Competition is good and I do like playing with my friends different phones but so far there is no way I would give up my iPhone 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
So - The iPhone 5 is a nice upgrade from the iPhone 4. Siri seems to mostly work - but it does get stuck every now and then. It is much faster and having double the space is nice as well. I am finally not hitting headroom issues on my phone with Music and Video.

What I've noticed about Apple is - as mentioned in the thread before - is the phone is boring. It happened whenever I upgrade any piece of Apple equipment - it is the most boring thing. When I upgraded my wife from an original MBA to one of the new i7 MBAs - the first thing she said when I handed it to her fully restored from a time machine backup was - Is this the new computer? Apple has made it super easy to go to the next hardware in line without skipping a beat. With the iPhone 5 basically after iTunes was done with it - the first thing I noticed is I have an extra row for icons - but all my folders and apps were exactly as I had them on the iPhone 4.

I must be getting old too - because I am rather pleased with how boring it was to upgrade. That being said - I do miss sitting down to a clean piece of hardware and setting it up the way I like it. I guess I could become adventurous and select -> Setup as a new iPhone! Maybe next rev.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I can change the color to pink if you like?

I actually meant it as a compliment, as apposed to the lame blue/green that is always advertised.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.