Sticky situation - Have software need CD to confirm, but don't have drive,what to do?

Reaction score
So I want to install Star Wars: Empire at War on my new low-end MB13'' retina, yet, as we all know, there isn't a dvd-drive.
I bought the game ages ago, so it's still on a disc, so I wondered, how do I install? I installed it on my old old mac (MB13'' 2007) got my backup HDD moved the files from the MB13 2007 to the retina... all good
Now it says I have to put in the original CD, wth do I do?
I have the CD, have the serial-key, but have no drive to put the CD into.

Is there a way for me to connect the game to the app-store? so that I just can access it through there?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I want to install Star Wars: Empire at War on my new low-end MB13'' retina, yet, as we all know, there isn't a dvd-drive.
I bought the game ages ago, so it's still on a disc, so I wondered, how do I install?

Is this a Macintosh/Windows or a Windows only game? If Macintosh, are you positive that this game is compatible with your new retina MBP? It may not be compatible with the newer OS version.

As far as the install…you could get an external optical drive:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/optical-drives/

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Is this a Macintosh/Windows or a Windows only game? If Macintosh, are you positive that this game is compatible with your new retina MBP? It may not be compatible with the newer OS version.

As far as the install…you could get an external optical drive:

SuperDrive DVD, DVD Dual-Layer, CD-R/RW, Blu-Ray Optical Drive Solutions FireWire, USB2, eSATA

- Nick

don't care if it's compatible or not , it has to be, the game has no choice but to bow to my will!

Anyway,what I did was, I installed it on the mac (aka: moving all the files from the CD to the MB13'' 2007-model) I then got my external hard disc, moved the files from the MB13 2007 to the external HDD. I then connected the external HDD to the retina and moved the files.

So the files are on the MB13'' retina, but I need to "confirm" to the game that it isn't pirated software (which it isn't). Therefore it wants me enter the "original dvd". But as the MB retina doesn't have a drive i'm a bit stuck... I've tried to search for no-cd crack, but no luck.

I've now sent a mail to apple-support in the hopes that if I can confirm that I have the game, that they will allow me to download it from the Mac-Appstore. 'till then I'm trying to find a way around.

btw: this is a macintosh version - and as far for the app in the mac app store there has been an update for the mac os x 10.7, so I guess (hope) it also works on 10.8.2

OP
F
Reaction score
Funny update!
Got hold of another MBP so tried to use it as a remote disc.... wanna know what it said as I tried to open the game ? "please insert the original disc" , and that after installing it remotely.... blaaah
Any tips?

I guess the folder coding is searching for a dvd-drive on the mac, and goes bananas cause the drive is on another MBP...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OP
F
Reaction score
Use Remote Disc - simple as that.

just tried that... and it still said "insert original disc" ... what to do :eek:

and found out that this is the reason:

"Note: These types of discs are not supported by DVD or CD sharing:

- DVD movies.
- Audio CDs.
- Copy protected discs such as game discs.
- Install discs for an operating system such as Microsoft Windows (for use with Boot Camp), or Mac OS X. "

So where do I go from this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Create an image of the disc on your old machine and then install it from that on your new one.

Open up Disk Utility > File > New > Disk Image from <name of disc>. That should let you create a disk image which you can then mount on the new Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
btw: this is a macintosh version - and as far for the app in the mac app store there has been an update for the mac os x 10.7, so I guess (hope) it also works on 10.8.2

You might want to confirm that the game is compatible with OS 10.8!

It wouldn't do you much good to finally figure out how to install/run the game…if the game isn't compatible with 10.8.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
You might want to confirm that the game is compatible with OS 10.8!

It wouldn't do you much good to finally figure out how to install/run the game…if the game isn't compatible with 10.8.

- Nick

haha, very true, but I don't have to do anything hence all my finals are over, so I can use this waste of time.

OP
F
Reaction score
Create an image of the disc on your old machine and then install it from that on your new one.

Open up Disk Utility > File > New > Disk Image from <name of disc>. That should let you create a disk image which you can then mount on the new Mac.

it won't let me connect to the "retina" ... it just keeps on telling me that it wants a password, yet none of them work (of the passwords I mean).
When I try to create the image on the retina from the MBP13'' (2010 model) it just says that the"connection failed" and when I try to click "connect as" the "guest"-option doesn't do anything and as "registred user" neither passwords work, mine nor the one for the MBP 13 (2010)

I just want point out that I was able to use the MBP13 (2010) as a remote disc to install the files, yet when I tried to open the game it said "please insert the original disc" even though the disc still was "connected "(remotely) with my retina.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha, very true, but I don't have to do anything hence all my finals are over, so I can use this waste of time.

Whether you have time to waste or not…it still makes more sense to confirm first that this game will work with OS 10.8. There's absolutely no point in banging your head against the wall trying to get it to work/install/launch if it is not compatible with OS 10.8.

You're going to feel pretty darn silly if you finally get this "CD Situation" figured out…just to find that the game won't run with 10.8.

It's kind of like building a boat in the middle of the Sahara Desert. You've spent years & years building it…then to find out that there's no water to sail it on for 500+ miles.;)

- Nick

p.s. At this point you're assuming that the game will run with OS 10.8…and you may be right…but considering the effort you've gone thru so far…it wouldn't hurt to double check!:)

OP
F
Reaction score
Whether you have time to waste or not…it still makes more sense to confirm first that this game will work with OS 10.8. There's absolutely no point in banging your head against the wall trying to get it to work/install/launch if it is not compatible with OS 10.8.

You're going to feel pretty darn silly if you finally get this "CD Situation" figured out…just to find that the game won't run with 10.8.

It's kind of like building a boat in the middle of the Sahara Desert. You've spent years & years building it…then to find out that there's no water to sail it on for 500+ miles.;)

- Nick

p.s. At this point you're assuming that the game will run with OS 10.8…and you may be right…but considering the effort you've gone thru so far…it wouldn't hurt to double check!:)

haha! That is most definitely the quote of the day! will look into it ;)

looked into it and it said that it is compatible with 10.8, yet some of the users have had some issues.

OP
F
Reaction score
...i'll see if I can get hold of an external drive, atm I'm poor as **** so buying one is out of the question :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well thx anyway, i'll see if I can get hold of an external drive, atm I'm poor as **** so buying one is out of the question :p

Here's something that's about as inexpensive as you can get…an external USB optical drive for $15.99 (I think that it even has free shipping)!::)

Newegg.com - NEW Slim USB 2.0 External Slim USB 2.0 CD-ROM Drive for Laptop Notebook PC Mac - Silver

It appears to me Mac compatible as well!;)

- Nick

p.s. If you cannot afford this…then I don't want to see you at McDonald's buying a $5.00 value meal…or ordering a $10.00 Domino's pizza!!!;)

OP
F
Reaction score
Here's something that's about as inexpensive as you can get…an external USB optical drive for $15.99 (I think that it even has free shipping)!::)

Newegg.com - NEW Slim USB 2.0 External Slim USB 2.0 CD-ROM Drive for Laptop Notebook PC Mac - Silver

It appears to me Mac compatible as well!;)

- Nick

p.s. If you cannot afford this…then I don't want to see you at McDonald's buying a $5.00 value meal…or ordering a $10.00 Domino's pizza!!!;)

well first i'll hope to get an external drive for Christmas, 'tll then, thx for the help guys! you will hear from me if things don't work out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.