Boot Camp for Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my wife's MacBook Pro (2010 model) from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, hoping to correct an error in saving Adobe Flash. This was unsuccessful as Adobe Flash will not stay on the MacBook Pro. I have no problem with it on my older iMac.
I installed VMWare5 with Windows 7 Pro on her MacBook Pro and while Adobe works OK, her older games (very important) will not run on Mountain Lion. I would therefore like to run Snow Leopard on Boot Camp if that is possible, otherwise I will have to wipe the drive (after saving with Time Machine) and go back to Mountain Lion.
Any advice appreciated.
With thanks
Tony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Welcome to the forum.

I'm a little confused by your post. You start talking of an OS upgrade then a Flash saving error, then running windows in a VM with Flash?, throw in a bit about games, running Snow Leopard in Boot Camp and going back to Mountain Lion? Snow Leopard?

So can I start by throwing back a few questions?
Flash:
1. What error were you getting with Flash?
2. What do you need Flash for? General browsing or games?
3. Does the error occur in all browsers?

Games:
1. Are these Windows or Mac games?
2. Online or installed from disc?
3. Which games?
Are the games genuinely not compatible with Mountain Lion or is it just that you haven't had them working under ML?

General stuff:
You can only run Windows from the Boot Camp partition.
The Latest version of MWare can run Snow Leopard in a VM but I'd suggest this might not be necessary.

Sorry for all the questions but without extra info it's impossible to give you a helpful answer

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt reply, mrplow, and sorry for the confusion.
1. What error were you getting with Flash?
When trying to run Adobe Flash in Snow Leopard, as this was required by numerous Travel web sites, it would only download and install and view the appropriate page once. If you returned to view the page again, you would have to download Adobe again and get the same result. View once only. While this only happened on our MacBook Pro, it didn't happen on my iMac and Snow Leopard. I heard from others in our Mac Club that it was not an uncommon problem.
2. What do you need Flash for? General browsing or games?
Only when browsing certain Web pages on which 'Additional Info' was available (common on Travel Web Sites). I hoped this error would not be repeated under Mountain Lion, but is was.
3. Does the error occur in all browsers?
Yes, whenever Adobe Flash was required to view the page .
Games:
1. Are these Windows or Mac games?
They are Mac games which would run on Snow Leopard and earlier versions of OSX but not Mountain Lion.
2. Online or installed from disc?
Installed from disks.
3. Which games?
Bridge Baron V15 and X-Words Deluxe. Both games ran under Snow Leopard.
Are the games genuinely not compatible with Mountain Lion or is it just that you haven't had them working under ML?
I've seen no reference as to them being incompatible with ML.

I hope this makes the problem a little clearer. I am ready to back up the current ML installation to a 1TB external drive with Time Machine, reformat the MacBook HD and reinstall Snow Leopard in the absence of an alternative solution. Your advice would be appreciated.
Tony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've never come across the Flash issue you describe. Are you definately obtaining the flash installer from the genuine Adobe website?
Can I suggest you use Google Chrome for your flash website needs. It has flash built-in and doesn't need a separate flash install.
You Mac will thank you for not having the flash plugin installed everywhere too!

Your games run on PowerPC code requiring Rosetta to run the on an Intel Mac. Freeverse have topped supporting those titles and Rosetta isn't available for Lion or Mountain Lion.

There are many benefits to running Mountain Lion so I'd urge you to leave that as your primary operating system and to install Snow Leopard (and your games) as a virtual machine under VMWare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.