Logo critique please

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been asked to throw together a logo for a friend of mine.
I'm not a graphic artist per se, but I have, in the past, been known to make logos in my spare time.

I've added the .png file and also the original .psd that I've created so far and I know it's a long way off from being finished at this point, but I would like your opinions so far. :)

Any comments would be welcome. :)

KF r1.png

View attachment KF r1.psd

C

chas_m

Looks nice, should reproduce well in a variety of mediums, can work as a monochrome as well.

Of course at this stage it tells me nothing other than KF ...

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Looks nice, should reproduce well in a variety of mediums, can work as a monochrome as well.

Of course at this stage it tells me nothing other than KF ...

Hi Chas,

Thanks for the crit, it is appreciated. :)

There is a reason behind it being just initials; basically my friend has his fingers in lot of pies, so to speak, so had asked that the logo be based around his initials, so he could change the company "branding" to suit whichever company he was using it for, IE Accounting, Property Maintenance, etc.

I had already suggested to him that I should append the logo with the single word "group", but he didn't like that too much and said that he would make the changes to the company name in word *shudder*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
My perspective...

Logos in general are best when easily recognised by shape, by colour, or by both. If the shape is simple, and easily recognised, then colour is of less importance. Like the Apple logo: no matter what colour you use, it's still immediately recognised as belonging to the Apple family.

Complex shapes require a distinct, fixed colour palette to distinguish them from all the others. In your case, the shape is rather complex, so changing the colour palette may break the 'brand family' resemblance.

Google images using 'logo', scan the screen without fixing on a particular logo, and see which ones stick out. That should give you an idea of what I am trying to say.

Thymen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Very nice design, and I am a pro designer (ie it is what pays the bills)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Looks great. I can't put my finger on it at the moment, but it bears a strong resemblence to an existing brand logo. It's gonna drive me crazy now....

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Looks very nice..my only comment would be to make the space between K and F a tad higher. Right now the space between the two letters is very similar to the space in between the 2 parts of K. Another option is to perhaps reduce the size of the F by little to separate the two things..

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Is this the finished product? I see a hiccup in the way that one of the shapes are drawn. The top shape of the F specifically.

I would revisit the spacing of the shapes as they are not visually spaced equally. That's all for now.

Nice logotype. I like the colors.

How does the logotype look at various sizes? Need to keep that in mind when you tweak the white space between your complex shapes.

OP
Rottie
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Thank you all for your kind words; especially your comment, Louishen. That is indeed high praise, when you consider that you are a professional designer and I wouldn't even be happy labeling myself as an amateur.

The state of play with the logotype at the moment is that it's on hold, at least until the New Year, if not indefinitely, as my friend, who I originally designed the logotype for, has decided that he wants a "pro" to design it for him and asked for my artwork as a starting point, but seeing as no monies were going to, or indeed have changed hands, I told him quite politely that I would not let somebody else plagirise my idea.

Moving forward, the logotype is based around the free font "Alice", which I manipulated slightly to produce what you see above.

MYmacROX - Have you managed to remember which brand this logotype resembles? Plagiarism wasn't my intention when I started out on this logo and I would like to see the brand that this resembles, so that if this logotype is taken off ice, then I can tweak it slightly so that I steer clear of any potential legal issues. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The state of play with the logotype at the moment is that it's on hold, at least until the New Year, if not indefinitely, as my friend, who I originally designed the logotype for, has decided that he wants a "pro" to design it for him and asked for my artwork as a starting point, but seeing as no monies were going to, or indeed have changed hands, I told him quite politely that I would not let somebody else plagirise my idea.

A wise move indeed, if your friend had commissioned this work and paid for it, any further manipulation would be fine since he'd own the "product" at the end anyway..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.