Spotlight can't find files I know exist

Reaction score
A little while ago I got an application called "hide folders" to keep sensitive documents with personal information from coming up in the "all my files" section in the finder. After months of perfect use, I found that the folder that was hidden was gone from the application, and I couldn't find the files in the finder.

I checked the trash and ran a file recovery program, but neither approach worked. I found that excel files would still come up in recent documents and I could access them. When I clicked "save as" from those documents it would show me the folders that were missing and the files that were in them, so I know they are still on the hard drive. The problem is I have no way of accessing them.

I've tried removing the "hide folders" app from my laptop, but still I cannot see or access these folders or any non-recent files from finder. Anyone have a possible solution?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It could be that Spotlight needs to re-index your IHD.

What you could try is: Preferences>Spotlight>Privacy. This will open a box above which it says "Prevent Spotlight from searching these locations"

From the desktop, drag your IHD icon into the box or use the "+" button to locate your IHD. Either way, leave your IHD in this box for a few seconds. Then click on the IHD to highlight it and click on the "-" (minus) button to remove it again.

This forces Spotlight to re-index your entire IHD. It could take a little while depending on its size When you Click on Spotlight from the Menu Bar it will say something like "indexing your IHD". When finished, you can click on Spotlight and, with luck, your hidden or missing files will appear.

Good luck. Post back to let us know.

Ian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If those files are still hidden, I don't think Finder is going to show them after re-indexing.

Would think you're going to need to unhide those files.

I'd try showing hidden files/folders and remove the dot from in front of their names - I'm "assuming" that's the way that particular app worked - have no idea and no way to test since that app hasn't been upgraded since 10.5 was released - then re hiding what is suppose to be hidden - link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.