• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need a solution: Record from iSight/webcam, but record system output as audio

Reaction score
As the title says, I Need a solution: I need to capture/record video from the iSight/webcam, but record system output as audio rather than capturing the microphone or system input.. It isnt a situation where i can just record audio and video separate and dub them together, its a dj setup and it needs to work by recording the video from the webcam, and using whats coming into the system in as the audio it records for the video... Anyone ? :/

Any help appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You start by saying:
I need to capture/record video from the iSight/webcam, but record system output as audio rather than capturing the microphone or system input

but then go on to say:
it needs to work by recording the video from the webcam, and using whats coming into the system in as the audio

So I'm not sure of which audio source you want to be honest . . .

If you could clarify the audio source required and perhaps add details of which version of OSX you have, which Mac etc.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Sorry that was a bit cryptic. Its to do with the way I have everything set up. Basically I have an external mixer and turntable, the output of the mixer goes in to the system input to record scratching, but the music is played via an audio player on the system, so basically the "system output" outputs both the itunes track and the external vinyl - I need to capture this/both: The system output, as the audio track for a capture for the webcam. I hope this makes sense.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Sorry that was a bit cryptic. Its to do with the way I have everything set up. Basically I have an external mixer and turntable, the output of the mixer goes in to the system input to record scratching, but the music is played via an audio player on the system, so basically the "system output" outputs both the itunes track and the external vinyl - I need to capture this/both: The system output, as the audio track for a capture for the webcam. I hope this makes sense.

Also the reason I wish to have it record the system output rather than using a mic is purely down to quality issues and not wanting to hear crossfader clicks etc.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The only app I know that can capture the the composite audio output is Audio Hijack Pro but this is audio only.

You can use this to record audio and something else (iMovie?) to record the webcam video.

IMovie and other video capture apps allow you to choose an audio input source but I don't know any that can grab the composite output and video simultaneously.

Is there any reason the you can't just edit the separate audio and video files together?

OP
Z
Reaction score
The main reason for not recording audio and video separately is syncronicity. I had a feeling this would be the case. Im using an app at the minute called LineIn which allows me to blend the audio coming in with the audio coming out, in that way I can hear the vinyl manipulation over itunes or also record audio with logic this way although video seems to be a problem :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.