Mac unresponsive

Reaction score
Ok, let's see if anyone has a clue of what I need to do here.

I have had my 2011 Mac Mini since the spring and have upgraded the RAM to 8gb in the past couple of months.

Sunday night I was playing with Wine and Winebottler, planning to install a couple of old windows programs onto my Mac.

I installed a simple calculator program from the internet to test out the programs, but left the house before I had time to install anything else. When I returned, Winebottler was still open and had the option to update the software. The wait cursor was displayed and would not let me select anything in the app, dock, or taskbar.

I eventually had to hold the power button until the mac shut off, but when I restarted it, the same apps reopened, and the problem persisted.

I repeated this several times, witht he same results until last night when I was turning the mac on it said something along the lines of "The computer was shut down incorrectly, would you like to restore your open programs". I chose not to, but the wait cursor is still present. I am unable to select anything on my taskbar, my dock will not appear, right clicking the desktop shows no results.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to resolve my problem?

The apps I had open at the time were (I believe) Photoshop CS4, Chrome, Winebottler, uTorrent, & Finder.

Thanks in advance fo any help you can give.

OP
D
Reaction score
I was able to boot in safe mode (I was apparently attempting to do so incorrectly before, and thought the problem might not be letting me access it)
I moved the app I created with Wine, the .exe program it was built from, and everything I downloaded that day to the trash bin.

I will try to reboot to see if this helps.

OP
D
Reaction score
The program is called durationCalc. A windows program that I found with a google search of free calculator program, to test out installing it on the Mac. I'm not sure if there is something wrong with the program, or if I did something incorrect.

OP
D
Reaction score
It helped... Somewhat.
I am able to open finder, and I opened the "about this Mac" from the taskbar.
But it is incredibly slow and the wait icon keeps appearing.

Edit: Now I am unable to open or close anything, but I am still able to move the finder window around.

Reaction score
There might have been something malicious related to that download, or incompatibility issue, or poor programming.

OP
D
Reaction score
Removing the downloaded files and uninstalling all new apps did not resolve the problem.
The computer is still acting the same, and even safe mode is very slow.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A few things.

Have you rebooted since removing the program/s and did you use an uninstaller? If not did you use a utility such as AppDelete or AppTrap to remove all traces?

How full is the hard drive? Drive needs at least 15% free space to work anywhere near capacity.

Do you use a maintenance utility to clean things out? Specifically not Mackeeper, CleanMyMac and their ilk, but Onyx?

Reaction score
Another thing, have you went into activity monitor (under utility's) and checked your CPU to see what is tying up all of your processing power?

OP
D
Reaction score
I have restarted multiple times since uninstalling the apps.
I did not use an uninstaller.
I have more than half of my hard drive free.
I am attempting to download Onyx and AppDelete, but even in Safe Mode the computer is running very slowly.
The activity monitor says the wired memory is taking up over 6gb of my ram and that I only have about 1gb of free memory.

Right after startup (with nothing else running) the activity monitor says
Free 1.13 gb
Wired 6.16 gb
Active 468.5 mb
Inactive 255.3 mb
Used 6.87 gb

Nothing seems to actually be using more than 70mbs of ram at any time (finder is using the most)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.