Time Machine - Partially Used External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I am new to the Mac and trying to set up time machine. The 500 MB external hard drive I have has about 250 GB of back ups from my pc. When I tried to set up time machine it said it would need to delete the files from the pc from my external hard drive. Is there any way to keep the files from my pc and use the remaining 250 GB of space to do a back up via the time machine. Does time machine require an external hard drive that is used solely to back up my Mac. If I were to buy another Mac would need a spate external hard drive for each one? Thanks in advance for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, please do not double post. I removed your duplicate post.

What you can do is partition the external drive so that half of it is used for Time Machine while the remaining half keeps your PC backups intact. However, it's always best to have separate hard drives as backups - especially if you need to keep making backups for your PC. And yes, I recommend a separate external hard drive for every PC or Mac you intend to backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.