X11 Help

A

atforce

Ok I have a problem, i am trying to use gimp and i am aware o the fact that it needs x11. I am also aware that x11 comes with tiger. I am pretty sure thought it is just an upg because it has upg written all over it but i didnt notice that. So i dl it and it doesnt work and i realize it is an upg. So i go to apple.com to get the orginal and i download the dmg. but then when i go to dl it, it says it cant because i have a newer verson on my comp. Can anyone help me to get x11 to work??

Reaction score
If you have the Tiger DVD/CD's, X11 is on there. Just look in Optional Installs.
The one you downloaded from Apple will not work with Tiger. It is for Panther.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Once the Tiger disc window is launched, scroll down to the middle System/Installation/Packages/X11User.pkg.

OP
A

atforce

i cant find the x11user.pkg i have on that says x11sdk.pkg

what is that???/ where is the x11user.pkg located??

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you clicked on the "Xcode Tools" folder. Scroll down just a bit more in the window, and you'll find a mess of folders. Start with the folder named "System". Double check to make sure you are using the Tiger installation disc instead of the Panther disc. X11User.pkg is what you want.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, good! Glad it worked. Even I went through the same thing as you, and I eventually found where it was after an hour.

OP
U

ultrablue

Ok, is what I need (same problem) on the 1st OS CD, the 2nd, or the Additional software CD.

A total noob here, so please be patient and give it to me step by step if possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.