How to remove a Menu bar icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Good morning!

Here's my dilemma....about a year ago, I installed Go to my PC on my iMac so when traveling, I could use my McBook Air to access files at home if need be. The program worked just fine, BTW. When I returned home, for good, I uninstalled Go to my PC.

I still have an icon from that program living up in my MENU (not task) bar (on the right hand side). Here is what I have done so far.....

1) Command-Drag does not work, since this program is a third party proggie.

2) I went into System Preferences, Users and Groups, but did not see anything in that list even remotely connected with the program.

3) I then ventured into the Activity Monitor, activated All Processes, and there it was..an icon and a file related to g2mypc. I highlighted it, then clicked on Quit, a Force Quit window popped up, I clicked Yes, and the icon disappeared! Success....but only for a short while. When I restarted my System (Mountain Lion, version 10.8.2) the icon re-appeared.

4) I re-entered Activity Monitor, found the file, tried to drag it out, tried to delete it..nothing worked to delete the file. It does reside in the root, so I guess it may be time to use another tactic?

5) I also searched for this particular file using both Spotlight and the search window in Finder... but since it's in the root, those attempts to find it also failed.

My iMac is about three years old and it needs every bit of free memory it can muster. This little icon is taking away 8 megs of memory....not huge, mind you, but I need it all! :) T0 be frank, since I do not use this program any more, that little icon up there just bugs the heck out of me ;-) I just want it to go away.

Any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

I have yet to contact the folks at Go to my PC for a solution.. the one and only time I contacted them for support, although they were very nice...their knowledge, at least a year ago, on Macs and tour OS was, well, a little 'light'. ;-) I am sure they more be more up to speed now.... but I'd rather get help from y'all!

TIA!

Cheers!

Pat

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you open up Activity Monitor, you should be able to select it > click the "Inspect" toolbar button and use that to file out where it is (under "Open Files and Ports"). If you feel uncomfortable deciding which file it is, paste the list here and we'll help.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, vansmith! I'll get on it right now!

Cheers!

Pat

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, van smith, here is the info you requested. I also used a proggie named Easy Find to atempt to track down these files, with limited success.

Upon using Activity Monitor, the main files that list shows are:

GoToMyPc Click on that...a box opens showing: Process Group (245), Parent Process launch_d (1) in blue letters....

Other files I feel confident belong to this program, shown in Activity Monitor are as follows:

g2p_launcherhost (root)

g2p_commagenthost (root)

g2p_securityhost (root)

g2p_launchagenthost (my username)

When I went to Open Files and Ports, as you directed, this is what was under the GoToMyPc file:

/
/Library/Application Support/CitrixOnline/GoToMyPC.app/Contents/Helpers/g2p_systemstatusuihost.app/Contents/MacOS/g2p_systemstatusuihost
/Library/Application Support/CitrixOnline/GoToMyPC.app/Contents/Frameworks/libGoToMyPC_Host.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/ExceptionHandling.framework/Versions/A/ExceptionHandling
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Librarian.framework/Versions/A/Librarian
/Library/Application Support/CitrixOnline/GoToMyPC.app/Contents/Helpers/g2p_systemstatusuihost.app/Contents/Resources/StatusIconGreen.tif
/Library/Application Support/CitrixOnline/GoToMyPC.app/Contents/Helpers/g2p_systemstatusuihost.app/Contents/Resources/StatusIconBlack.tif
/Library/Application Support/CitrixOnline/GoToMyPC.app/Contents/Helpers/g2p_systemstatusuihost.app/Contents/Resources/StatusIconRed.tif
/Library/Application Support/CitrixOnline/GoToMyPC.app/Contents/Helpers/g2p_systemstatusuihost.app/Contents/Resources/StatusIconYellow.tif
/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le.kbdx
/System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
/private/var/folders/mq/ckjyl4nx29b1p0d1x4jbvmn00000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-036501.csstore
/usr/share/icu/icudt49l.dat
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SArtFile.bin
/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
count=1, state=0x2

Again, thank you for you assistance with this....I hope the above data helps you determine what to do. ;-)

Cheers!

Pat

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Although I see a variety of g2p related files, I'm not comfortable suggesting that you start deleting files all around the filesystem.

When you remove g2p, did you use an uninstaller? It sounds as if you simply remove the main application. This would explain why there are files still scattered around the filesystem.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest with you, I removed the program several months ago....but I am pretty sure I used its own built-in uninstaller...IOW, I do not distinctly remember just dragging it into the trash. I cannot be 100% sure, but I think it came with an uninstaller.

I have been investigating proggies that uninstall proggies for you.....but after reading on several forums, it appears most of the heavy duty Mac users don't like those programs...citing most of them leaving files scattered about, such as what I am experiencing here. they pretty much back the idea of dragging the icon onto the trash bin and them cleaning up the residue files like i am trying to do. I know, i know, that may be another can of worms we don't want to open here! :)

Thanks for your help so far.....if I could just find these files where I can delete them, one by one, I'd be willing to attempt it.....I want that icon GONE! Plus, I have a recent backup (this AM) I could use if things go awry!

Cheers!

Pat

Reaction score
Look in /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons and see if there is a related .plist in there.
Note: this the System Library, not your User Library (though it may be there also).
Move the .plist to the desktop (you may need to authenticate) and reboot. Should kill it in the menu.
If not, put it back and we'll go from there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd just move the whole Citrix Online folder to the trash - reboot and see if everything's ok before you empty the trash.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gentlemen!

I can gladly say now that my iMac boots up without that nagging Go To My PC icon up in the menu bar! A round for all of you! ;-)

To cradom first... your suggestions did it. I thank you!

To bobtomay: I followed up cradoms suggestions with yours....everything Citrix now resides both in a "savior" file on the desktop (just temporarily) and also in the trash.

I could not have done this without the help of everyone on this topic.

Again...thank you!

Cheers!

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.