missing system preferences

Reaction score
Hi,
I cannot find my "system preferences". The choice is there in the dropdown menu when I click on the Apple logo, but when I click it, nothing happens. Can somebody help?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Welcome to Mac Forums.

Firstly, could you just check whether it's in the Applications Folder? If yes, then click on it and see if it opens.

If no, then it looks like, somehow, it got deleted. Do you have a system backup such as Time Machine? If yes, go into TM and select a day when system preferences was working, select same from Applications and restore. If you don't have TM, then have you a cloning backup such as SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Clone?

How we might help from here depends on the answers to the various questions posed above.

It would help to to know which OS you are running and on which Mac.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's got to be somewhere. The OS won't let you delete it. Just try. You'll get an error message. I doubt that you can move it either, but just for fun, search for it in Spotlight.

OP
M
Reaction score
ian,
its not in the application folder. I have not activated TM and I do not have superduper clone or Carbon Copy either. my machine is IMAC G5, running mac OS X.04.
so what else can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Something has become corrupted. Got the Tiger operating system disc for a clean install and then update? Always have a backup on an external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.