Itunes 11 poor audio quality

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just upgraded to itunes 11 and since doing so all my music is suffering from poor audio quality on playback. There is a fading effect like a vibrato on a guitar amp or like an old am radio in the evening.

What could be causing this and is there anything I can do to fix it??

I've never had any problems with previous itunes versions, and I'm not doing anything different.

All songs are stored on the local internal hard drive of my mabook, 2.1ghz intel core duo, 4gb ram osx 10.6.8

Wish I hadn't upgraded now! it was fine before...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you connected to external speakers?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, I'm using focusrite saffire firewire audio interface into an external amp & speakers.

Would this make a difference?

Thanks for your reply :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
That could make a difference. I have an M-Audio USB DAC connected to my Mac Mini and have had no problems with iTunes 11. If you have some headphones test the sound with those. If the problem is in iTunes you'll probably hear it through headphones too. If headphone output sounds fine I'd contact the audio interface manufacturer.

OP
S
Reaction score
That could make a difference. I have an M-Audion USB DAC connected to my Mac Mini and have had no problems with iTunes 11. If you have some headphones test the sound with those. If the problem is in iTunes you'll probably hear it through headphones too. If headphone output sounds fine I'd contact the audio interface manufacturer.

Thanks for the reply, I've checked with headphones and the fault is still there. It's not the audio interface, I've been using it for 3 years and had no problems, also audio from logic and you tube plays fine, its just itunes 11 that has the problem which leads me to suspect that the issue is with the upgrade from 10.7 to 11.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch 2014 Retina MacBook Pro, 2012 Mac Mini, 160GB iPod Classic, iPhone 5
Try deleting iTunes and reinstalling. If that doesn't work reinstall the older version from your backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.