Is the new 21" User upgradeable for RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac, Late 2011 Model. 500g HD, 16 Gigs RAM. Snow Leopard.
Has anyone seen the new 21" iMac and do they know if it will be user upgradeable for RAM. We will not be seeing it here in Ireland until January at the earliest so i am trying to decide whether to go for the new one or if its better to try and pick up a 2nd hand 2012 model of the 21".

Mark S.

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new 21" iMac and do they know if it will be user upgradeable for RAM. We will not be seeing it here in Ireland until January at the earliest so i am trying to decide whether to go for the new one or if its better to try and pick up a 2nd hand 2012 model of the 21".

Mark S.

Hi i beleive the new 2012 21.5 inch iMac is not upgradeable by yourself but the 27 inch iMac is hope this helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Has anyone seen the new 21" iMac and do they know if it will be user upgradeable for RAM. We will not be seeing it here in Ireland until January at the earliest so i am trying to decide whether to go for the new one or if its better to try and pick up a 2nd hand 2012 model of the 21". Mark S.

I would personally avoid purchasing the new 21.5" iMac as it is not user upgradeable either for the memory or hard drive. The latest take apart comments - instructions show that the entire display has to be removed and then the logic board likewise has to be removed before the memory modules can be accessed. Replacing the hard drive has also become more difficult in the newer iMacs because there is no longer a space between the glass and display panel. It has to literally be unglued.

I own the previous model 21.5 iMac which is the last upgradeable version. The choice is yours; choose wisely. :)

Reaction score
I saw one today. Odd looking machine.

Bulbous back.

Why they fused everything; prevented user upgrades is a puzzle.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I agree. I guess the folks at Apple R&D think slimmer is better - you know, like one of those professional models that parade new French designed clothing and look like they're half starved. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is not a puzzle ~ just limiting what home mechanics can do to their Macs and creating business for resellers. Even more puzzling is why the 21.5" model has gone from a 7200 3.5" drive to a 2.5" 5400 just to achieve thinness?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even more puzzling is why the 21.5" model has gone from a 7200 3.5" drive to a 2.5" 5400 just to achieve thinness?

MacWorld Mag latest issue said that Apple did that to make it quieter. What they don't mention is that the failure rate on 2.5" drives is greater than that of the 3.5" types and that the 5400 RPM model is slower than the 7200 RPM one.

I don't know about you Harry, but I bought my last iMac. My next Mac will be a MBP (not Retina) along with a 27" Cinema display. $$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As an old fellah maybe my June 2012 iMac will see me out? If anyone told me twentyb years ago that at 75 would be computing daily would have laughed at them!

Incidentally found instructions for installing DiskWarrior 4.1 on to a USB thumb drive. Needs to be at least 16GB to hold the three partitions and no more waiting around for the DW DVD to boot. Absolutely flies. Found thumb drives do everything quicker than DVDs. In Lion had install on DVD and every time went to boot off it, had to go through the whole verifying procedure whereas USB thumb drive just boots immediately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.