Screen Sharing app for iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
I know this has to have been asked ad nauseum, but Google and searching the App Store is getting so full of overdone utility apps and/or spammy garbage, I'm hoping you folks can point me in the right direction.

All I'm looking for is a way to remotely control my OSX machines from my iPad/iPhone over my home wifi. Is there a plane jane Screen Sharing app out there? It's not a big deal to run a VNC server on all of my macs, but for the few times I'd use it I'd hate to always have to have it running.

The other night I was in bed, and realized that I forgot to shut my iMac off. It seems like a no brainer that I should be able to just grab my phone from the nightstand to remote in and do it, but I can't seem to find the right app for the job.

Any insight/opinions would be much appreciated. :) Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
There are some that work really well.

IMO:
* The KING is LogMeIn, and their free app works very well, and it seems to be the most stable. i have the server running on my MacMini. I got a good deal on their paid app. Works over the internet outside of your local network.
* Splashtop is also very good, and their top product is much cheaper than LogMeIn's app. Works over the internet outside of your local network.
* My Mac works good, but you have to make sure you go in and enable remote sharing on the Mac side. Can work over the internet outside of your local network. This is the screen sharing app - but again, you have to set up the sharing on the Mac yourself.

Personally, I recommend Splashtop more than LogMeIn even though I use LogMeIn more often because it is a quicker and slightly easier setup for most. I use LogMeIn more because it is more robust and I manage 13 different computers with it remotely and 4 of those are for family so I dont have to go to their houses, everything I can do remotely. LogMeIn also covers all the major operating systems.

C

chas_m

I've used one called Remoter VNC that works perfectly well for my basic needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've had issues with Splashtops virtual driver since Mountain Lion. Prefer logmein for it's stability.

Take a look at TeamViewer too.

OP
Seventh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 17" MBP, Mini x2
Thanks for the replies! :)

I'm trying to stay away from the ones that are primarily aimed at people who want to use it over the internet - all I need is wifi, so the more basic the better. I did consider LogMeIn, but I'd like to avoid poking holes in my firewall to go out and come back in when I should be able to (hopefully) find something that can just go across my local LAN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Again I will suggest Remoter VNC, as that's what it's designed to do.

Agreed a simple VNC client is all that's required for local lan situations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.