Black Screen that won't go away

Reaction score
Hi friends,
I've had a Macbook Pro for about a year now. I was using it throughout today because I brought it to school with me. Since it's a 15 inch laptop, I'm always trying to be really careful with it because it can be cumbersome. I've been planning on using this laptop for years to come so I take care of it as if it were a delicate infant.

It had been working just perfect all throughout today. I had only been using it for Photoshop, TextEdit, and the internet. About an hour ago, I came home and set it down nicely on my desk. When I opened it up, I saw the usual lock screen, but then the entire screen went black. It hasn't changed since.

I tried to wake it up best I could, but the screen wouldn't do anything. I knew it was still working because the light on the front right side of the base, which glows when it was turned on, was doing its repetitive cycle glow which indicates that it is sleeping. I pressed the power button off and it made it's usual turning off noise. Ten minutes later I turned it on again, but held the button down extra long. The "on" light that I just mentioned flickered rapidly and when I let go of the power button there was the white background that usually starts up the computer. However, it was a fleeting light as it went straight back to darkness.

Now I have my computer connected to the charger, the light on the bottom is glowing straight (not "breathing" if you know what I'm talking about) and I don't know what to do.
I should probably wait a day or so and see if anything new changes, but I'm really worried.

I feel like I just got this laptop not too long ago and I am extremely careful of it. At first I thought maybe I bumped it at some point between leaving school and coming home, and maybe some internal wire connecting to the screen disconnected. But I can assure you I am extremely careful with my laptop. I will keep this forum updated if any changes occur within the next few days, but I'm really concerned that something may be seriously wrong.

Reaction score
You need to include some info on your model MacBook pro . ie... year specs model identifier.

But without that info I may give you some advice here.
Unplug the unit, and remove the battery.
with it unplugged and no battery in it. Hold down the power button for 5 + seconds . Then while holding down the power button insert the power cord release the power button and then try and start it.
This will reset the smc .
If it still does nothing then lets reset the pram and vram.
Upon start up , Hold down the option +apple+p+r keys
keep these 4 keys held down while its starting up It should chime, If it does chime keep holding down the keys and let it chime 2 more times then release the keys and let it load up.
If you get no chimes when you try this .

Remove the ram one stick at a time . Try to start it with one stick of ram first , if it don't start then take that stick out and try the other . Make sure that the Ram is secure in the sockets also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.