Sure glad I didn't buy a Macbook!

C

crispeto

I think these are going to be great computers but I only paid $1199 in December for the 12", 1.5, 80 gig, DVD burner Powerbook brand new. I like the new Macbooks but I don't like the 15.4" form and I certainly didn't want to spend another $800 smackeroos to get one. Allowed me to buy a really nice LCD and I love it. For those of you who can afford the new Macbooks, I think you're really going to like it but for me - I'm happy:)

Anyone else???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Well for one i love the size of my 12" PB and two im waiting untill more people have universal software out and have it tested properly so i know that im going to have as little hassle as possible

Reaction score
Well, yes, if money is the issue, then a Powerbook is still absolutely amazing. However, the extra money isn't going to nothing. It is FOUR times faster, built in iSight [which I believe is sold for about 200US], remote, and the amazing power cord - which I think is one of the best additions. I want that power cord badly.

Nonetheless, if I was in your position, I would be very happy as well. Granted, I do want the new power cord, iSight, and the crazy speed, but I am also very happy with my current status.

Good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
TOYOTA said:
Well, yes, if money is the issue, then a Powerbook is still absolutely amazing. However, the extra money isn't going to nothing. It is FOUR times faster, built in iSight [which I believe is sold for about 200US], remote, and the amazing power cord - which I think is one of the best additions. I want that power cord badly.

Nonetheless, if I was in your position, I would be very happy as well. Granted, I do want the new power cord, iSight, and the crazy speed, but I am also very happy with my current status.

Good day.

The iSight sells for $149.

I also want that cord! My PowerBook took a nasty spill about a month after I got it and it keeps screwing up chargers... surprised AppleCare never cuaght on...

Reaction score
London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Ca
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.
Well let me think now... I am really trying to remeber teh last time I used isight. Oh yes...now I have it.... Never...It is bloody useless does it work with msn? no how about yahoo? Also does it compenstae for a dual layer 8 speed burner er no. So I oimplore you apple to stop employing a bunch of gimps that is what they are at the moment. And come out with things that a real every day user wants? I wnat to have fast burner, better isync would be a god send, so I dont ahve to keep touhing up os x. I have had to modify it to suit my needs a bit. I chnage my mobile every month depending on my whim. I change my laptop regularly and buy loads of apple and windows stuff out of whim. But guess what apple I am not buying a mackbook pro. Cos it sounds crap, b its specs are crap, My new sony I have ordered has better specs and cost less.

I have bought over 19 new powerbooks/ibooks in diffent guises over last 2 years and numerous desktops. So before some one says one customer think again. I spend more then the average customer.

Reaction score
apple_power said:
Well let me think now... I am really trying to remeber teh last time I used isight. Oh yes...now I have it.... Never...It is bloody useless does it work with msn? no how about yahoo? Also does it compenstae for a dual layer 8 speed burner er no. So I oimplore you apple to stop employing a bunch of gimps that is what they are at the moment. And come out with things that a real every day user wants?
Whoa, there partner. Speak for yourself. iSight is FAR from useless. My family was thinking about purchasing each of us an iSight camera a couple of months ago. I would use that daily if I had it. For me, iSight is great, living hours away from home at college.

Am I standing here saying that iSight is the perfect addition for any Mac user, no, I am not going to make that much of a ridiculous judgement, but I am sure not going to make an even more ridiculous judgement and call it useless.

I suggest you think about this type of statement before making such a premature rash judgement about it.

Good day, sir.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Better Upgrades Wanted

apple_power said:
Well let me think now... I am really trying to remeber teh last time I used isight. Oh yes...now I have it.... Never...It is bloody useless does it work with msn? no how about yahoo? Also does it compenstae for a dual layer 8 speed burner er no. So I oimplore you apple to stop employing a bunch of gimps that is what they are at the moment. And come out with things that a real every day user wants? I wnat to have fast burner, better isync would be a god send, so I dont ahve to keep touhing up os x. I have had to modify it to suit my needs a bit. I chnage my mobile every month depending on my whim. I change my laptop regularly and buy loads of apple and windows stuff out of whim. But guess what apple I am not buying a mackbook pro. Cos it sounds crap, b its specs are crap, My new sony I have ordered has better specs and cost less.

I have bought over 19 new powerbooks/ibooks in diffent guises over last 2 years and numerous desktops. So before some one says one customer think again. I spend more then the average customer.

While I agree with your overall sentiment I wouldn't necessarily call isight useless or the people who follow Bill's directives mean names either.

Jobs has so many options on what he could improve on the ibook and powerbook lines that it can be somewhat frustrating when Apple makes only little frill improvements while there are major things like the items you've mentioned or bringing the 12" powerbook specs inline with it's bigger siblings left undone.

256 MB onboard a pro model, whats that about? Gimme 2 open dimms, a backlit keyboard, ATI 128 Video, firewire 800 and a PCMCIA slot for my 12" powerbook. Heck the 12" ibook has more base memory than it's pro big brother with only 256!

Where are your priorities Bill, gimme what I want and take my money. Focussing on switchers and Intel based Macs with Mac in the name of every product is great for the future but until the software becomes available many of your already loyal power users are staying away. Don't forget this important demographic in the transition. Power PC and the Powerbook G4 aren't dead yet! Please give us some really significant upgrades in the next round.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17", 1.67GHz, 2GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. Ipod 20GB
I've had my PowerBook 17" for less than a week and I'm very very very happy with it. Before this I had a dell and it was from ****. However, this new machine that I have now is fabulous and I wouldn't trade it for anyhting. The build quality is surprisingly excellent as well as its ease of use. I work in asset management for a multinational bank so I get to see all different pc's from dell to HP, Packard Bell, NEC and I haven't seen anything so amazing as this powerbook. Even the packaging has been given some consideration by the guys from apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core, MacBook Air 11
Let me clarify.......

dtravis7 said:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=PowerBook

The 12" Powerbook has the same amount of memory as the iBook.

512Megs

It has only 256 MB onboard! The extra 256 card in the open dimm is a throw-away! iBook has 512 MB onboard with 1 dimm left open! Take a look at the max memory specs smartguy.

Why doesn't anybody ever read the fineprint?! It's no wonder Jobs has so-many consumers snowed with petty upgrades.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.