mini DVI to TV... will it transfer quality and fill entire screen?

Reaction score
I'm presently looking for an easy way to play .mkv movie files on my TV.

My TV is a slightly older 50' Sony rear projection with no HDMI ports... just component and DVI. My macbook is an early 2008 model with the mini DVI port so I'm considering a mini DVI to DVI cable between my macbook and TV as well as an audio cable.

Will the picture fill the screen on my TV? Anybody have any experience with this?

I'm also considering buying a device that I can load the .mkv files to and then play them on my TV from that.

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
You should be able to do this using an app for example VLC2 which will playback this codec. There is an option for fullscreen video device in the preferences. That said you can 'force' your TV to do this. Quite what the quality will be I don't know, I'm not sure whether these kind of apps do any upscaling.

XMBC will also playback this codec and I believe that you can jailbreak an older ATV1 with it (ATV2 is HDMI only and ATV3 can't be jailbroken apparently) and use that as your streaming device but don't quote me it's not my field :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.