I have no password but - Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 MacBook Pro 13" running Mountain Lion and Win 7 Bootcamp
When I set up Mountain Lion I elected not to have a password to enter the OS or for anything else. Yet, when I want to occasionally move or change something I get a popup windoe with my username and the blank password field and the following text: Finder wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this.

I don't need to enter a password, I just click next. But it's an annoying window considering I elected to have no passwords at all. Is it possible to stop this nag window coming up?

Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Be thankful that it's there because if let's say some malware wanted to install something, it would need your permission first.

Reaction score
It's built in for a reason. It makes sure that you are wanting to make the requested changes, just click enter and continue on.

OP
arcuspilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok - it's there for a reason and I should be thankful. Acknowledged.
However, I'm an adult and I know what I want and don't need somebody else deciding that for me.
I was asking for a solution to a problem.
Is there a way around it this nag screen? Can I make it stop?

Reaction score
I'm not aware of a way to disable it either. I've never had anyone ask to disable it and I work on Mac's everyday. I'm sorry I didn't post a solution to your problem, sometimes a logical reason is enough to satisfy someone's inquiry. Least this way the only way anything runs on your mac is things you have approved.

OP
arcuspilot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your input, fellas. Bummer that it can't be disabled; it's no biggie though. In Windows you can but it definitely has more annoyances than Mountain Lion in the grand scheme of things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What is it you're moving or changing, out of interest?

You see, even with a password set, you should only be prompted if you're making changes to system files/installing new software/deleting software.

You shouldn't ever see it just moving your own files/folders/data around or in normal everyday use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.