External hard drive question!!! Please help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'
Hi,

I was running a Lacie Big Disk 1TB mounted onto my TC. It had all my media on it. Turned it on after coming back from holiday and it didn't work. So I took it apart to see inside it has 2 500GB hard drives. . I then got a single hard drive caddy plugged in the HDDs separately and they appeared in disk utility but could not be read as from my understanding they need each other to work. . .

Question 1... What kind of Caddy do i search for to replace my broken Lacie one?

Question 2 ... Is there a way to read these hard drives alone or do they need each other?

The two HDDs are 3.5 IDE Seagate...

THANKS!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The LaCie was probably setup in RAID fashion which means that both 500 GB drives were considered as one. (1 TB) Separating the drives does not work without formatting them. However, that means your data will be lost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.