Do I have a virus or similar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP late 2013, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
I have a four year old (late 2008) MacBook 5,1 with 8Gb memory and 2Gb Intel core 2 duo processor. Internet connection is 7Gb using Centurylink

Over the last couple of days I have noticed that my internet seems a little slow. Today, I was chatting on Skype and suddenly an advert (Cadillac advert) was being pushed over my speakers despite the fact that none of the Safari windows I had open were showing any adverts. Also, it was web sites that I have often used before and they don't usually push adverts.

Also on a couple of occasions I was typing faster than the screen would display the characters.

I don't think this is a memory problem as my system monitor was showing plenty of available memory and no page outs or swap.

I know my MacBook is getting old and there is probably a lot of junk on it but I am not dsure that explains the above.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on would be welcomed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP late 2013, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Be assured you do not have a virus as there are no mac OS X viruses. Do you have ample free space on the hard drive, at least 15% of its capacity? If so download Onyx for your operating system and do maintenance chores.

When using your browser, make sure Adblock is running to keep those pesky ads out.

Download OnyX for Mac - Maintenance and optimization tool. MacUpdate.com

Onyx Mac – Instant Download Onyx for Mac OS X » Blog Archive » How to use OnyX for Mac

AdBlock

Thanks for the suggestions. I still have 40% disk space left so don't think that is the problem.

I will have a look at Onyx. Appreciate the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.