flash drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPhone, iPod, MacbookPro
Flash drives can be used in Windows 7 as temporary boosts to RAM. Is there any similar advantage in OS X?

Reaction score
First let me tell you that ReadyBoost in windows is a gimmick,.
Your hard drive has a virtual ram area on it already that you can allocate to use for this purpose.
Second Readyboost does not NOT boost your ram. It only gives you a type of virtual ram.
Your actual physical ram is capable of transferring data back and forth many times faster than a usb drive or a Hdd. In my opinion it is not even worth the money to spend on a flash drive to use for this.
If you want to boost ram buy more of it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^^ ditto

I personally have not owned a Flash drive yet that could be read and written to as fast as my internal hard drives - therefore making any use of one for additional virtual memory utterly useless.

C

chas_m

Also, flash drives are WAAAAAAAY slower than the hard drive (the normal source for Virtual RAM) and real RAM.

Bottom line: even if there were such a program for the Mac, it would be a worthless piece of junk -- just like it is on PCs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.