.jar (Java?) extensions in my Applications Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
I have been trying for some time to fix my computer which keeps getting hung up on scripts and stuff and I most just get the spinning wheel. it takes an hour or so to load finally.

Anyway I managed to get on today and actually see the activity monitor and the applications file where i have downloaded Onyx and Cocktail.

In the process I saw all kinds of .jar extension files in the application folder. Are these just hidden files (I can't remember if I have it set to show hidden files and it would take hours to find out probably).

Could these .jar files have anything to do with the problems I'm having with the spinning wheel and EXTREMELY SLOW, AGONIZINGLY SLOW operation. you can only type maybe 3 letters and then you get the spinning wheel and it takes a minute or two to go away. If you just move the mouse it starts the spinning wheel.

I have started in safe mode and other things to fix it. I'm tired of fooling with it for over a month so I'm either going to fix it today or else wipe out the disk and I really don't want to because I have irreplaceable photos not backed up. Some photos I have in Dropbox protected but not all.

I have a 2010 Imac Desktop running Snow Leopard.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The mere presence of the jar files won't slow the machine down - they'd have to be running. However, it isn't customary to have jar files in the Applications folder. What are they? Are they running?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot from your disc and run Re;pair Disk from there and check out the state of your hard drive prior to doing a format and clean install.

OP
kcsummer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
No, I don't think they are running. If they were running wouldn't they show on the activity monitor? I have no idea how they got there.

OP
kcsummer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC Snow Leopard
Boot from your disc and run Re;pair Disk from there and check out the state of your hard drive prior to doing a format and clean install.

I have already done a disk repair twice and both times it took forever but finally came back that it was able to repair disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.