Home Folder name change 10.8.2

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Mac's and have just bought a used Macbook Pro...

My issue is that the Home Folder is in the old owners name and i need to change it to my own. I have changed everything else but not this.

I had a look on the users and groups file and right clicked "advanced options" and there are "Home Directory" and "Account name" fields. I'm wondering if it is as simple as changing these to the Shortname I want and it will just update the folders. However I'm reluctant to change it in case it messes everything up.

Anybody had anything similar or had to do this themselves? Looking for stuff on the net seems a bit useless...

Any help is welcomed.

Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 16.20.32.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You just need to rename the User account in thr prefernces

Whatever you do, dont rename the folder in the finder

and disable the root user, unless you really have a need for it
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4499

OP
F
Reaction score
I've been into and changed the Full Name to my name so the current user shows as me, however the home folder is still under the old user and need to change the "short name" to my name from what I've read.

I just don't know how to do it :[

ps thanks for the quick reply

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
When you bought an already used Mac from someone, wipe it clean and install it from scratch.
That is the only way to do it properly, all the rest is what I call " fiddling around ".
Pop in the install disks, format the disk and re-install the OS, then apply all OS updates and install your applications. ( Or use the recovery partition, depending on what Mac you have )

Cheers ... McBie

OP
F
Reaction score
****, I was hoping I'd be able to do it without wiping it as it has a lot of Photoshop stuff on it...

No easy way then?

Oh, it's a Macbook Pro 13, Late 2011

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do as member McBie advises. Photoshop isn't legally licensed to you anyway unless the previous owner gave you all the original media and transferred the registration to you with Adobe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You may find Felix it necessary to contact Apple online to purchase Snow Leopard OS X.6. If you go this way install, update to OS X.6.8 and if you wish to upgrade to Mountain Lion go into the App Store, create an Apple ID, and purchase and download. There is a slight problem if computers come second hand with Lion or Mountain Lion installed. It always belongs to the original purchaser and not the computer.

You cannot boor from the Recovery drive to do maintenance unless the account is in your name.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.