iPad vs iPhone apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Not sure if posting in the proper place so please move if warranted. Can someone explain the differences between the two apps? I noted that on the iPad mini when the App Store was first activated along the top it looked like there was a choice between the iPad or iPhone app. The iPad app was highlighted but when I could not find a particular app I switched it to the iPhone apps. Now I cannot find in settings or elsewhere how to have the ability to choose between the two and do not know if that makes a difference or not?

Bob J

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, there is a difference between the two. iPad apps are designed to accommodate the larger resolutions and screen space. See here for a difference.

That said, both will work on the iPad mini. However, the iPad apps will be easier to use and make more use of the space available to you.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
How do I get to choose between the two in the App store. The choice buttons are no longer there!

Bob J

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There should be a tab at the top to switch between the two. See here.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
There was at one time but not now. Tried rebooting to no avail.

Bob J

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of iTunes do you have? The iPhone - iPad choice tab is there when accessing the App store in iTunes 11. If you're using iTunes 11 and it's not there, try reinstalling iTunes.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
I have iTunes 11 on my air but do not know how to obtain that info on my mini that i got yesterday. Contacted Apple and several senior staff really could not answer as all iPads are locked up weekends. They think that maybe now that I have both iPhone as well as iPad it knows the difference? Strangely under apps / purchased in the left top a pull down menu can change between iPad apps and iPhone apps. Apple wanted me to contact anyone with iPads running current software if they still have the choice between iPad apps and iPhone apps.
Bob J

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple wanted me to contact anyone with iPads running current software if they still have the choice between iPad apps and iPhone apps.

I have an iPad3 running iOS 6 and my iMac running 10.8.2, and I clearly have a choice between iPhone and iPad apps in iTunes 11. I have no idea what they're referring to unless they suspect a bug.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac air,iPad mini,ipods
Running 6.0.1 and only have a pull down menu under purchased. Will see what others may have and give the senior person a call Monday as I have a direct tel number.
Bob j

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.