Jailbreaking iPod Touch 2G

Reaction score
Hello all,

Im having a somewhat infuriating experience JBing an iPod Touch 2G running 4.1.2.

Using GreenPoisi0n the JB went very smoothly, however i cant get Cydia onto it (apparently a common problem) . The advice is to now use RedSn0w on top of GP to get Cydia running. However when I try to use RedSn0w it just keeps saying 'Waiting for reboot'.
Im not sure if this is because its not going into DFU mode. When I try get it into DFU it comes up in iTunes as in DFU, but there is nothing on the screen of the iPod, and to bring it back to life i have to hold down the Power and Home buttons for about 10 seconds
Is the iPod actually not fully going into DFU and that is why RedSn0w wont pick it up, or is it going into DFU but RedSn0w is a pain?

Has ANYONE please got any advice?
Thanks

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
I think im being a muppet.....

I thought I had the 2nd Gen iPod Touch, but I did a quick Google of what an 'MC' model is, and turns out its a 3rd Gen, which would explain why its not working (wrong .ispw). Im downloading the correct one now.
Wish me luck! :)

Chris

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh wait. Upon further reading it isnt actually classed as a third ten.
So confused!

OP
C
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. It's on 4.2.1 (Sorry, im aware that I mistakingly stated it as 4.1.2 earlier).
I have never had a problem with jailbreaking before but this really has stumped me.
I also cannot restore it as its not my iTouch. Its a friends, and I dont want to lose all his stuff.
I dont suppose you have any other suggestions?
Thank you for your reply!

Chris

C

chas_m

Finding out what model it ACTUALLY is would help a lot ... IIRC there's a model number on the back. Can you see one? If so, what is it?

OP
C
Reaction score
Its definitely a 2G Model. Sorry for the confusion, when I was on a website I entered the last 4 digits of the serial number and it commented that it was a 3G iPod.
It IS an iPod 2G, but the MC Model (which I understand has a more secure boot loader).
Thanks

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.