Anxiety about the instability of Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Please could anyone advise me? I am thinking of upgrading our MacBook Pro (Late 2007) from 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion. However I have been concerned by some of the stories of instability in basic functions that have resulted for some.

Is there a risk for me? As my wife and I now both have iPhones, I use an iPad 4 & my wife and I use the MacBook Pro - it seems sensible to use iCloud with the MacBook Pro.

I'm not tech savvy and just want to be able to use the iCloud across all platforms.

Any advice out there? O:) I am a newby to Mac Forums.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Please could anyone advise me? I am thinking of upgrading our MacBook Pro (Late 2007) from 10.6.8 to Mountain Lion. However I have been concerned by some of the stories of instability in basic functions that have resulted for some.

Is there a risk for me? As my wife and I now both have iPhones, I use an iPad 4 & my wife and I use the MacBook Pro - it seems sensible to use iCloud with the MacBook Pro.

I'm not tech savvy and just want to be able to use the iCloud across all platforms.

Any advice out there? O:) I am a newby to Mac Forums.

There is ALWAYS a risk with any change of something going wrong. But FWIW I am running Mtn Lion on my late 2007 15in MBP with no stability issues, and my wife and I both have iPhones and iPads and use iCloud.

If you have the same model I do then hardware to run Mtn Lion shouldn't be an issue, but you should have a minimum (more is better) of 2GB RAM and I would say a minimum of 10% disk free space (again more is preferred).

My recommendation (and it would be this for any upgrade) is that you first invest in an external HD if you don't already have one and use Carbon Copy Cloner (what I use) or Super Duper to create a bootable clone backup of your system. This way your files are safe, and you can always go back if you have problems.

After testing your clone by booting from it, go ahead and spend the $19.99 for Mtn Lion and try it yourself.

HtH
Razormac

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello

Thanks Razormac, that is both helpful and reassuring. I have done a big hard drive clean up. Freed up some space and have 4GB of RAM. I have backed up on Time Machine with my iOmega drive and begun the install. So hopefully all will be well. Appreciate your resonse.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You are welcome. Let us know how it turns out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.