Multiple accounts in Apple mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 inch 2.5Ghz dual-core Intel Core i5. Iphone 4s IOS6. ipad 2 IOS6.
Just bought a MBP 13 inch for work (OS X mountain Lion). Trying to get to grips with mail. I have 2 google apps accounts, new@work (virtually empty) and old@work (13000 emails) . I have set up new@work on the MBP but want to add old@work without importing or syncing 13000 emails. i.e. like it works on my iOS devices. Can this be done in Apple mail or is there another email client I can use? (I would rather not use the gmail interface )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forum.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to stop whats coming through unless there deleted off the gmail server.
As for other email clients some around here use Mozilla Thunderbird, but IMHO Mac Mail is a outstanding client. You can do so much with it and more and works well between all devices.Something to think about anyways.

EDIT : Once the emails have been imported they won't sync with your iOS devices so no need to worry about that. Just might take a hour to import them is all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When you set up the old@work account, Mail will see those 13000 emails, know that it hasn't imported them before and import them. There's no way to stop that apart from deleting them from gmail beforehand, as TM says.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13 inch 2.5Ghz dual-core Intel Core i5. Iphone 4s IOS6. ipad 2 IOS6.
Thanks for the tips. I should give a bit of background info. We bought the MBP because our Win7 laptop would take forever when using Outlook 2007 synced to Gmail with IMAP. I am not sure if it was the slow ADSL connection, (we live in the country side, with max 3 mbps in download) or it was the old Win 7 laptop that made it slow. However when I first set up Apple mail and began importing 13000 emails, it took 2 days, the MBP became unresponsive. We decided to start with a clean slate and created a new work email account with only a few emails and the rest remained in old@work email account, on gmail servers.
I would prefer to be able to search the old@work account from apple mail but do not want to sync the account as all mail addressed to old@work is forwarded direct to new@work account. Can I set up the old@work account, import all the mails and not have to sync the account again? Any ideas? Does anyone use multiple google apps accounts with Apple mail, if so is your mail responsive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.