Using Mac OS 10.4.11 as home file server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 GHz eMac 768 MB RAM OS 10.4.11
I am looking to create a home file server with an old eMac I have. It is the only apple device on the network, so the problem I have is making it discoverable by the windows and linux computers that I have connected to the network. It is running 10.4.11.

I don't want to have to install another OS, but if that is what is required then I will do it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I honestly have very limited experience with vintage Macs and not that much on servers either (currently in the middle of setting up OS X server on a Mac Mini at home).

My reaction/advice FWIW is that what you want to do is possible, but not worth the cost and effort involved. I just checked and Tiger server will probably run $100 or more without considering RAM or HD upgrades you may need to do as well.

Since you only have the one Mac, why not just use a Linux box as your file server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
For OS X tiger you need to enable SMB sharing in the sharing preferences to get Windows computers to see it

You may also want to look at Sharepoints, this will allow Tiger to share any folder, not just the home folder

HornWare: SharePoints

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help, I have enabled the SMB sharing, but my other computers still don't see it. The reason I want to use the mac as a server, is that I have no other use for it. All of my other computers all have their own purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Give sharepoints a try, you get more control over what is shared

You may also have to enable the file sharing ports on your router, what router do you have?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
SMB sharing should work wonders with both Windows and Linux. If OS X is sharing a file/folder over SMB, all machines on the network should be able to see it. If they don't, there is likely a firewall block or a permission problem somewhere.

Now, have you tried viewing the share manually. From Windows, go to run and enter the following: \\<ip address> (replace as necessary).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I have tried manually. I will check the model of the router soon.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Since you only have the one Mac, why not just use a Linux box as your file server?
How did I miss this amazing recommendation earlier? Haha. ;)

As I noted, SMB is a very cross-platform friendly sharing protocol. As such, using another OS isn't going to solve the problem if you once again try to use the SMB protocol.

That said, check firewall settings on the Mac, the machines on your network and the router. If I remember correctly, Apple was still using Samba at that point so take a look at this list of ports used by Samba (to make sure they're open).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, good news guys. Booted up the computer the other day, went into network connections, and there it was - eMac Server. I connected and mapped the drives, couldn't be happier! Thanks for all the solutions, and hopefully they can help somebody suffering similar issues to those of which I was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.