• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Using tablets too much...

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I just tried to swipe my MBP screen. >_>" I think that's a sign.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
ROFL. Who knows, in the future you may be able to do just that on a nice 30" Mac Retina display! Yeah, I know what you mean though. I get on my iPad 3 once in awhile and my head still thinks I'm on the iMac. :)

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
ROFL. Who knows, in the future you may be able to do just that on a nice 30" Mac Retina display! Yeah, I know what you mean though. I get on my iPad 3 once in awhile and my head still thinks I'm on the iMac. :)

Yeah I just totally laughed at myself too. Can't believe I did that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Very Interesting!;) What would be even funnier…is if a gesture or a swipe actually worked. Such as a hidden (Easter Egg) feature on say a retina-MBP (some sort of hidden touch screen ability).:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's funny. As someone who didn't really think I'd be using my Nexus 7 all the time, I sure seem to be using it a lot. I think I've come to appreciate the convenience of the tablet as a complement to my daily workflow.

Thankfully though, I haven't quite hit "tablaptop" quite like you have. ;)

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's funny. As someone who didn't really think I'd be using my Nexus 7 all the time, I sure seem to be using it a lot. I think I've come to appreciate the convenience of the tablet as a complement to my daily workflow.

We might see it in the near future. :D You never know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thats Gold !!!!

At least you noticed and laughed at yourself, and it wasnt recognised as a state of senility :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

How are you liking your Nexus 7? I bought one in July. I love the device. It's a fantastic size and works great. My biggest disappointment is the Google Play store. I find it severely lacking coming from an iPad with the App Store at my fingertips. So many apps aren't real tablet apps, just blown up phone apps with so much wasted space.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How are you liking your Nexus 7? I bought one in July. I love the device. It's a fantastic size and works great. My biggest disappointment is the Google Play store. I find it severely lacking coming from an iPad with the App Store at my fingertips. So many apps aren't real tablet apps, just blown up phone apps with so much wasted space.

That's really quite a shame. >_<" I was seriously thinking about getting a Nexus 7. I just got a new toy to play with. a PS Vita and so far I <3 it.

Thats Gold !!!!

At least you noticed and laughed at yourself, and it wasnt recognised as a state of senility :p

Well I was like okay use finger to swipe. >_>" "Why isn't anything happening?" Then I was like "Oh, yeah it's my MBP." :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I love it. Yes, the lack of tablet applications relative to the iPad is a shame. I do wish Android had a greater presence in the tablet space for this reason alone. I suppose I'm lucky though because most of the apps I use are optimized for tablets (except for Dropbox).

On the whole though, it's an absolutely fantastic tablet. The size is perfect, it's fast, runs the latest Android and the build quality is exceptional. Add to that the reasonable price tag and it's a winner.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats Gold !!!!

I love it. Yes, the lack of tablet applications relative to the iPad is a shame. I do wish Android had a greater presence in the tablet space for this reason alone. I suppose I'm lucky though because most of the apps I use are optimized for tablets (except for Dropbox).

On the whole though, it's an absolutely fantastic tablet. The size is perfect, it's fast, runs the latest Android and the build quality is exceptional. Add to that the reasonable price tag and it's a winner.

Sounds like the hardware and stuff are up to snuff but apps are hit or miss. >_>" I like my iOS apps though. Especially Paper by 53.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a bit of a mixed bag. Facebook and Dropbox are blown up phone applications and although they work, you can tell that they weren't built for the interface. The tablet optimized apps are nice but, like I said, the iOS tablet app ecosystem is considerably larger than the Android one so if tablet apps are a must, iOS is the way to go.

Reaction score

Even if my new iDevice with the big iMonitor came with touch, I would have trouble using it. From way back I have always considered the act of putting a finger on a screen to be a crime almost deserving of capital punishment. You can kick my dog, lean on my new car, but if you even reach out toward my monitor you are going to draw back some sore fingers.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if my new iDevice with the big iMonitor came with touch, I would have trouble using it. From way back I have always considered the act of putting a finger on a screen to be a crime almost deserving of capital punishment. You can kick my dog, lean on my new car, but if you even reach out toward my monitor you are going to draw back some sore fingers.

I recently got to spend some time with my 4 year old cousin. We were at Best buy and the toddler loves computers. She insisted that I pick her up so that she can touch the computer screens. Some of them are touch screens and she gets disappointed when they aren't. It is quite funny.

I'm actually amazed at how she knows how to use a touch screen computer because I'm sure they don't own one. :D

Reaction score
I recently got to spend some time with my 4 year old cousin. We were at Best buy and the toddler loves computers. She insisted that I pick her up so that she can touch the computer screens. Some of them are touch screens and she gets disappointed when they aren't. It is quite funny.

I'm actually amazed at how she knows how to use a touch screen computer because I'm sure they don't own one. :D

Yep. A natural progression of... well, progress. When she is a teenager in high school or college, she will be reading about those strange ridiculous gadgets that used to sit in front of old machines (machines that weren't even portable - believe that?) and were used to input data with FINGERS! She will probably even mention remembering old fuddy-duddies (well, you and me, if you don't recognize the description) actually using those ancient things.

I can't stand the thought of my beloved keyboard going away someday, but I know it will happen if I live long enough.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. A natural progression of... well, progress. When she is a teenager in high school or college, she will be reading about those strange ridiculous gadgets that used to sit in front of old machines (machines that weren't even portable - believe that?) and were used to input data with FINGERS! She will probably even mention remembering old fuddy-duddies (well, you and me, if you don't recognize the description) actually using those ancient things.

I can't stand the thought of my beloved keyboard going away someday, but I know it will happen if I live long enough.

I don't think I can imagine a world where there isn't a keyboard of some kind. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.