Program that worked in OS10.6 doesn't work in OS10.7

Reaction score
To the Mac-forum experts,

I have software that used to AutoStart in OS10.6 but now will not execute in OS10.7 the icon is the circle with the slash in it.

What can be done so that it will execute in OS10.7?

Any advise would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The application you have is probably a "PPC" based application (a somewhat very old app). OS 10.6 had an application called "Rosetta" that allowed older PPC based-apps. to run. But OS 10.7 dropped support for Rosetta…and without "Rosetta" you cannot run that app.

If you REALLY need to run this app. you need a computer running OS 10.6 (with Rosetta installed)…of an even older version of the Mac OS…such as OS 10.5.

HTH,

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's probably correct.

And that's about the best advice you can get without telling us what piece of software it is.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, so here is the deal, I have a piece of software written for teaching science. It is an old app, but the school is upgrading to 10.7 and I know that it won't run on 10.7 because I tried to load it at home on my machine. I have the source code for this application, but didn't want to have to rewrite the program. But based on your replies it seems that I will be spending the next 6 weeks rewriting this for 10.7, crap!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But based on your replies it seems that I will be spending the next 6 weeks rewriting this for 10.7, crap!

Ahh…but what a "challenge"!;) Of course I'm sure you don't need this sort of challenge…but very impressive that you have the knowledge to do the rewriting/recoding (I wish I could do that)!:)

Since it seems like your school is upgrading to OS 10.7…it would seem that rewriting this app for 10.7 is unfortunately the way to go. Also, it sounds like this is a "custom app."…so I'm guessing there isn't a commercial app. that could take it's place (that's compatible with 10.7 already).

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, I appreciate the encouragement... I have been writing code for about 30 years, and the Mac is a pain in the butt, they keep on changing their OS and then none of the preexisting programs work. At least with Microsoft their OS is backwards compatible.

Also, thank you too, bobtomay!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I have been writing code for about 30 years...

Very nice!:)

...the Mac is a pain in the butt...they keep on changing their OS and then none of the preexisting programs work. At least with Microsoft their OS is backwards compatible.

Yes…Apple definitely keeps us on our "toes". Both professionals and regular consumers. I've been a "Mac Person" since the mid-80's…and I've been thru all the hardware & software changes Apple has made over the years…forcing us to constantly upgrade everything ($$$$) to stay relatively current.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You may not have to rewrite much. Although I have no idea what this application does, you may only have to change parts that don't work with newer frameworks. Start by simply trying to recompile the app and work from there.

Just a note: Legacy support is a bit of a double edged sword - it's nice to have support but it holds back evolution of the platform.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, yeah, they shouldn't change on a point release though. :(

VanSmith, that is a great idea about recompling it first, I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again you guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.