Mail dosen't always open automatically

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
I have Mail configured to open, in the background, ie, not in Tabs but in Notifications.
When I log in, I get my usual 5 Tabs and the Mail Alerts. Sometimes not, in which case I go to the Dock and manually open Mail. I'm using Chrome.

I don't want it to open in Tabs, but that appears to be the only problem-free solution. The question though, is why does my scheme work most of the time, but not always?

This is characteristic of Windows random behavior, and I thought that with Apple I would escape such quirks. (Don't worry, I'm still happy I have a Mac.) Hopefully it's user error.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have Mail configured to open, in the background, ie, not in Tabs but in Notifications...

in which case I go to the Dock and manually open Mail. I'm using Chrome.

Mail is one application and Chrome is another application.

The Mail application does not have "tabs".
A web browser, such as Chrome, would have tabs.

Either you have 2 separate and distinct questions which have been jumbled into one (at least for me) or you are using some web email inside Chrome.

Could you clarify &/or separate the 2 items?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm trying to keep Mail running in the background without any user input when logging in. It does most of the time, but not on a consistent basis.

I probably should not blame Apple, because I am using Chrome.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm just as confused here. How is Chrome involved here if this is a Mail issue?

If you simply want it in the background, just close the main window and Mail will continue to operate without interference.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, let's leave browsers out of it.

I have Mail configured to alert me when a new message has come in via Notifications.

The problem is that sometimes, about 1 in 4 times, after when I first log in to the computer, I do not get notifications (alerts) of new messages.

So Mail acts closed.

In that case, I go to the Dock and manually open Mail to retrieve new messages.

No problems with getting Mail automatically while computer is running throughout the course of the day; just sometimes at login.

I just wish I didn't have to do that extra step, but yes, I can live with it the way it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
how about this:

System Preferences > Accounts > highlight your login > Login Items. Add mail there and check the hide box.

Now this should open Main in the background when you login and keep you from having to take that extra step

Screen shot 2012-12-08 at 7.22.17 AM.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My question would be this:

The times it works: is after a fresh boot &/or you have logged out of your account and then logged back in?

The times it doesn't work: is after the computer has gone to sleep and the Mail app was quit prior to it going to sleep. In this scenario, it is not going to auto start after you log in again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.