Unable to copy files to external HD without "file in use" error

Reaction score
"File in Use" error when exporting to external HD

I am unable to manually copy files to any (Mac OS Extended) external hard drive without eventually getting an error message that a file is in use. These are all photo files and none are actually in use. I have confirmed that there are no active processes which are using these files. I have tried 3 different hard drives through usb and firewire connections all with the same result. The same thing happens when I attempt the backup my iPhoto library externally or use backup software like CrashPlan. The files which claim to be "in use" are never the same.

The funny thing is that I am able to backup to internal HD's with no problem at all. The problem only exists when I am using an external drive!

Does anyone know the cause or have a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
First thing i would like to ask, is how do you back up to a internal drive ?? You should only be backing up to a external HD.

Anyways have you tried to restart your Mac yet. Fixes a lot of problems. If so then Repair Permissions via Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility then do a restart and see what the results are. Post back.

OP
T
Reaction score
Re:

I have 4 internal HD's and am able to back up to them. I can move individual files externally but when I try to manually or through software backup groups of files externally i get the "file in use" message.

I've tried restarting many times, repairing permissions, etc. None of these things solve the issue which has been present for quite some time.

OP
T
Reaction score
.... since I have no issue internally but always externally, it leads me to believe that there is some kind of OS issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
.... since I have no issue internally but always externally, it leads me to believe that there is some kind of OS issue.

And this is why i said to Repair Permissions as that will usually straighten out the OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

And this is why i said to Repair Permissions as that will usually straighten out the OS

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer.

Boot from your install disc & run Repair Disk from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.
Select your language.
Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.
Select Disk Utility.

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click First Aid.
Click Repair Disk.
Restart your computer when done.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'll try it again. Does the HD need to be connected when you repair the permissions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll try it again. Does the HD need to be connected when you repair the permissions?

Yes. How else is the system supposed to know what permissions need to be repaired unless you direct it to the drive, which must be mounted.

OP
T
Reaction score
Still the same results

I tried all of the suggestions above without success. I even installed a fresh copy of OS X 10.8.2 and the same thing happens. I tried to use What's Keeping Me to see what is interacting with my disc and it's basically three things; Finder, Spotlight and an Epson printing monitor. I tried killing all of these apps but nothing makes a difference. Now when I attempt to use Repair Volume of my external mounted disks I get an error message which says "Error: Couldn't unmount disk".

Everything works and I'm able to access individual files just not able to back up large amounts of data. I think that I'm giving up unless someone has one more idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.