New ext hdd to partition question

Reaction score
Hi all !
I just bought a 1TB G-Tech hdd and want to partition 3 ways;
1 = 320 gb for cloning, will use CarbonCopy (internal is 329gb)
2 = 400 gb for Time Machine
3 = 280 gb backup for pictures only
Is there any problem running TM and clone in same hdd ?

I have been using a Lacie (design by Porsche) external for TM for the last 3 years and its just about full. My machine is iMac7, 1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 4 gb memory and running Mac OS x 10.6.8.

Thanks in advance for any advice and replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not recommended. I would keep the CCC and TM backups separate on two drives rather than partition the G-Tech. If the G-Tech drive fails, you've lost both your backups. Not a good backup strategy. Also, what's wrong with erasing the LaCie drive and using it for Time Machine? What are you going to do with TM backups that are three years old? You can also selectively remove old TM backups from the LaCie and only keep the recent ones. (Say, in the last 6 months or so.)

OP
S
Reaction score
You're right, chscag.
I didn't think about that, all backups would be going into same drive. I was more concerned of putting them in a brand new hdd rather than keeping them seperate.

What i would do then is 2 partition in g-tech 1tb external CCC and pictures/data and clean out old files in LaCie for TM as recommended.
I read that in event that hdd fail and a restore from CCC, that Firewire is required and thats how i'm hooking up the g-tech hdd. Is that a fact ?
Will there be no interference between firewire connected hdd with clone and usb2 connected TM as i'm planning to leave them connected all time ?

Looking for more advice. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What i would do then is 2 partition in g-tech 1tb external CCC and pictures/data and clean out old files in LaCie for TM as recommended.

That will work and should be OK. Be sure to name the G-Tech partitions differently though so there will be no confusion when CCC runs.

I read that in event that hdd fail and a restore from CCC, that Firewire is required and thats how i'm hooking up the g-tech hdd. Is that a fact ?

No, that's not true. Although Firewire is faster and will work just fine, you can also select USB 2.0. I have an external drive which I use for backup and it has both FW 800 and 400 in addition to USB 2 connections. I use the USB 2 for convenience sake because then I don't have to fiddle around and look for my FW cables.

Will there be no interference between firewire connected hdd with clone and usb2 connected TM as i'm planning to leave them connected all time ?

There should be no interference. Make sure your external drives can be put to sleep if you intend to "sleep" your machine rather than turn it off. Some external drives can not be put to sleep by the system and will keep your machine awake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.