iTunes 11 canceling sync issue?

Reaction score
I have a 32 gb iPhone 4s with over 7.5 gb of space remaining and i'm using a Macbook Pro with Mac OS X 10.8.2. Whenever I connect my phone to sync, it goes through the first few steps fine, but when it starts to add music it randomly stops on a song and then just cancels the sync all together. is there any way to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Are you sure it is randomly ?? I only ask because if it stopping on one particular song, then you could have a corrupt song file and this is causing the problem.
If your syncing music, that means your not using the cloud ?? Have you thought about using the cloud then you dont need to sync songs at all.

Cheers

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes it is randomly. It doesn't stop on just one particular song, it stops on a different song every time out of nowhere. I've even tried deleting the songs it has stopped on but that hasn't made any difference. Also I have tried syncing my phone using the cloud but the sync cancels then too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
All i could suggest is to do a backup, and restore the phone, then restore from backup and then see what happens. And make sure your phone is up to date as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People are reporting a few problems with iTunes 11 so i hope they come up with a update soon. I m all out of ideas. I am presuming this didnt happen with 10,7 ?

Maybe try and repair permissions via Disk Utility and see what happens then. Make sure you log out then back in when its all done and dusted.

OP
K
Reaction score
No this has never happened before today. I even tried deleting all of my recently added songs in the past week to see if one of those files may have been corrupt but i'm still having the problem. Hopefully it is just a bug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea im thinking its a bug and not the songs doing it. Repair Permissions and see what happens. That can sought out a lot of things, especially if .plist's and so on are corrupt.

Try this as well. Shut down iTunes, then in finder navigate to the go menu in the Menu Bar. While the go menu is open hit the option key and navigate to Library >> Application Support >> Preferences >> com.apple.itunes.plist and drag that to your Desktop. open iTunes and try. If it works, trash the .plist on your desktop and go on with your day.

OP
K
Reaction score
I tried doing both of those, I repaired permissions and tried deleting the .plist but both were unsuccessful. No instead of a random song however it is always stopping either 15 or 16 songs into the sync. When I delete the song trying to be synced it still does this though. It will stop on the 15th or 16th song no matter what song it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well now im sorry but im out of suggestions :( Is your phone up to date ??

It certainly is a bizarre situation you have.

One last thing, navigate to Macintosh HD >> Library >> Preferences >> com.apple.itunes.secure.plist and drag that to the desktop, after shutting down iTunes before hand. then see what happens.
If nothing then, lets hope someone else will pop in with another suggestion.

EDIT : What i cant understand is why it it trying to sync songs when you have the songs in the cloud then they are available on any device, so it should only be the song names on you iPhone not the song itself as they are in the cloud ?!?!?!? ::scratches head::

EDIT 2 : Please dont cross post as it starts to get confusing. The Mods will either delete or merge that other thread you started.

OP
K
Reaction score
I just tried that and that did not work either.
It's weird because my friend who also has iTunes 11 plugged his phone into his computer and it synced everything fine the first time. So I don't know if it might be my phone itself or what?
Also, not all of my songs are in the cloud because about 45% of them were not bought, so the only way I know of getting them onto my phone is to sync my phone with iTunes. I have no problem with songs I have purchased, they all work. It's only the songs I haven't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My only suggestion for that is iTunes Match which cost so much a year. Once iTunes has done its thing, songs that you didnt buy through iTunes will be then available in the cloud.

OP
K
Reaction score
Alright, well if it doesn't work after a while I guess I might just have to do that. Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Must try

I was having the same exact problem, so I tried taking off all of the music on my iPad (check the box in the device menu next to "sync music") and sync it like that. Then, when it finishes syncing, try doing one or two playlists at a time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
With over 7 GB of available space the answer is probably no but I'll ask anyway. Is it. possible that all of the available space has been filled? As a test it might be worth creating a playlist of a GB or two and synching that just to see what happens.

Reaction score
8/2014 update

Hey if anyone is reading this, I experienced this problem recently. Here's my suggestion: give iTunes and your iPhone/iPod some time apart (try the next day), after trying all the things eHow or other sites might suggest. For some reason it worked for me :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.