data back up and restore

Reaction score
If I have an external hard drive that I use to store data that is from a windows platform, is it possible to use the free space to do a back up and restore of Mountain Lion provided I have enough space to do so. Or do I wipe the external drive clean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It would have to be partitioned using Disk Utility. That would erase all data, so you'd have to copy your current data from windows to a DVD or other storage device/computer first. Then copy it back over.

However, just because it can be partitioned doesn't mean you should. Best method is a separate external for each purpose. If one partitioned drive fails (and it will eventually), you lose data for multiple platforms, computers, etc. If your Mac is backed up to its own external and that dies, your Windows data isn't effected. As always with backups, more than one method is a good idea - i.e. DVD, more than one external drive, etc. http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/245794-official-backup-faq-start-backing-up-now.html

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you MYmacROX it was very helpful. I was about to make a major mistake.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.