Networking with an AirPort Express

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy either an Air or a Pro (Im leaning to the Pro) and i am wondering if I can network the new computer to my Mac via my Express or do I NEED to get an Extreme. I dont want to spend the money if I dont have to but I NEED to be able to see both computers for school work.

I'm sure that this question has been asked before and I have been searching through here for it but I cant find it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Airport Express can create a wireless network just like the Airport Extreme..so you could do that and connect the 2 Macs to the same network and talk to each other..

The Airport Express is just a compact (feature and size-wise) version of the Airport Extreme. Depending on the generation of Airport Express you have, you can either support up to 10 or 50 networked computers..

OP
A
Reaction score
Cool, its fairly new (6 MO) and I did see that it can handle 50 so it looks like im good to go!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are indeed "good to go"..read that with the Kramer voice..:)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Note that you don't need to buy an Airport Express or Extreme - any router will do (and there are quite a few which are just as feature rich at a much lower price point). This isn't to discourage you from buying it but I wanted to suggest that you have more options.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.